Mount Dubois in the White Mountains 07/10/2023

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Mount Dubois in the White Mountains 07/10/2023

Post by KathyW »

I was looking for a climb that got me above 11500' and didn't involve hauling mountaineering gear. Mount Dubois in the White Mountains fit the bill by.

I arrived at the Forest Service Boundary along Chiatovich Creek Road at about 2 pm on 07/09/23. Water was flowing down the road but I started down it in my Tacoma. I felt that sucking sensation. The muddy ruts were no fun and with warming weather it could get worse; so, I backed out and packed my backpack for an overnight trip. It was hot and I had to haul water for dry camping. I started at 7000' and all went well on the road that ended at 8200'. From there I did okay for a while on an overgrown old road, ended up in bushwack hell for a short while, and then found a use trail and did okay until I reached 9100' and camped.

The trek the next day to Dubois was long but really nice. Only a couple short gentle snow patches along the way. A long day. Started at 5:30 am. Made the summit at 12:30 pm. Made it back to camp at 5:30 pm, packed up, and got back to the truck at about 8 pm.

Be careful to try to stay on the old road and use trail between 8200' and 9000' where it peters out. Some photos and map: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... ountains-/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Mount Dubois in the White Mountains 07/10/2023

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So, what do you think of the White Mountains?

I did a similar route many years ago as well as several other climbs. To me, the White Mountains are true wilderness- way out there. I never ran into other people, every trip was very challenging, and each caused a bit of anxiety.