Utah in October backpack trip advice needed

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Utah in October backpack trip advice needed

Post by acorad »

Hi all!

My son is a student at the U of Utah in Salt Lake City and would like to do a backpacking trip with me during his Fall Break which is the 2nd week in October (10/7 - 10/15).

He initially wanted to do a hike in the Uintas near Salt Lake, but we realize now that these mountains (~11,000 feet) will be very cold and potentially snowed in by early October.

So we're looking for a 2 or 3-night backpacking trip in southern Utah at lower elevations. We have 15F sleeping bags. Preferably somewhat near the I-15, as I'll be coming from SoCal.

I've looked at the obvious Southern Utah Nat'l Parks, and while they are really amazing, they also have some hurdles like non-potable water (cyanobacteria) and/or are 3-4+ hours away from the I-15, etc.

So I was hoping to find some non-Nat'l Park Southern Utah alternatives. It would also be nice, but not required, if I could scratch my fly-fishing itch as well.

Anyway, are there any non-Nat'l Park ideas?

TIA!

Andy
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Utah in October backpack trip advice needed

Post by robow8 »