The Nevada Triangle

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

The Nevada Triangle

Post by dave54 »

I saw this writeup about the west coast version of the Bermuda Triangle.

New fodder for evening campfire tales.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/nv-triangle/
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: The Nevada Triangle

Post by The Other Tom »

Interesting read, thanks.
But I subscribe to the "many experts believe the disappearances can be attributed to the area’s geography and atmospheric conditions." Still fun to speculate, though.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great!!
Now I got this to think about the next time I'm taking off from LAX. :D
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Dave,

I'm catching up on some of these posts and this one certainly makes one wonder why with all the folk scurrying over ridges and down canyons in the Sierra many of these wrecks have not been found. Yes, some big lakes may hold secrets, but there's still a lot of exposed terrain that should yield clues. Years ago, I ran into a ranger who was very curious about the Steeves case (in part because of the discovery a couple years before of part of his plane), so it's interesting that it remains a mystery! Cameron
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

cgundersen wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:59 pm Dave,

I'm catching up on some of these posts and this one certainly makes one wonder why with all the folk scurrying over ridges and down canyons in the Sierra many of these wrecks have not been found. Yes, some big lakes may hold secrets, but there's still a lot of exposed terrain that should yield clues. Years ago, I ran into a ranger who was very curious about the Steeves case (in part because of the discovery a couple years before of part of his plane), so it's interesting that it remains a mystery! Cameron
There was a P51 crash in the Olympic peninsula during WW2. They knew the crash site within a couple miles and still could not find it. Finally found in the 1990s.
Steve Fosset's crash eluded searchers using several high tech imaging devices. They found 8 other unknown crash sites, but not Fosset. A hiker spotted it a year later in Ansel Adams Wilderness.
Smokejumpers found an unknown crash site in eastern Oregon several years ago.
Sometimes plane crashes are hard to spot in forest cover.

Then consider how long it took to find Fremont's cannon.

Anyway, the old legends are fun to talk about, even if they are not mysterious or paranormal.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Dave,

Ever since that chat with the ranger, I have kept an eye open for metallic bits that might be part of a wreckage field, but most of the candidates turn out to be bits of mylar balloons, or tins discarded by long-ago hikers (prospectors?). And the gusts that one occasionally encounters in the Sierra certainly have reached a level that they nearly lift me off my feet, so I can see how planes might encounter terminal turbulence. Now I'm curious whether we'll see a TR with the discovery of an old crash site. Cameron
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

i remember years ago i was in goodale canyon looking at the peaks surrounding the headwaters....the southern slope of goodale mountain and the eastern slope of striped mountain especially.....and just being astounded by the hundreds if not thousands of very large rock spires and towers. I remember thinking teams of people could spend a lifetime up there looking around those spires and probably never see it all. Common terrain in the sierra.

It doesnt surprise me how easy it is fir even a large plane to disappear without a trace into the sierra.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

More on the same theme:
https://www.california.com/california-m ... creatures/
https://www.kcet.org/shows/socal-wander ... l-monsters
https://northamericancryptids.com/fresno-nightcrawler/
https://www.ranker.com/list/california- ... jodi-smith
https://inquisitivewonder.com/the-fasci ... -cryptids/

Ghosts inhabit the Innskip Inn in Butte County, and the Hotel Mt Lassen in Susanville. A triple murder took place in Keddie, Plumas County, in 1981. Reportedly the cabin where it occurred is still haunted by the victims' ghosts. A tale of a ghost rider and horse in the Caribou Wilderness.

There is some local lore of Allie -- the monster in Lake Almanor (invented by locals as a tourist lure. Never really caught on). However, there is a lava tube just south of the Caribou Wilderness that according to Maidu lore is a portal to the underworld. When I first entered it I suddenly felt sick to my stomach and an impending feeling of dread and fear. Some gas buildup? or sinister creature? The Honawewe (shape shifting snake-man) is in the Reno to Honey Lake region. The lost city underneath Mt Shasta, the underground UFO base under Lassen Peak, underground UFO base in Plumas National Forest, and some curious Paiute tales from the desert side (man from sky arrived in a giant shiny egg. Spoke a strange language. Lived with the people for a while, then others arrived and all left together). That one is wild. And a bear-man of the Lassen Volcanic Park area.
What I find most interesting is the Klamath tribe word for the sasquatch creature in their area: Mat Hah Khan'Gmi. Some minor variations in spelling and pronunciation with the nearby Modoc and Ahjumawi languages. This is very similar to one of the Tibetan names for Yeti 'Metteh Kammi'. How did completely unrelated languages half a world apart develop similar names for a similar creature? Speculation can run amok with that coincidence. Or is it a coincidence?

Let the campfire tales commence! You do not have to believe the stories to enjoy them.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I had some distant cousins whose small plane disappeared around 1953. It was eventually found on a gently sloping granite ridge in southern Yosemite. My family has a prized, "X marks the spot" map indicating the location. Prior to 1980, family members had hiked to and successfully found the plane wreckage on two or three different occasions. But when my aunt and I hiked there in 1991 or so, there was no sign of the wreckage. We speculated that the National Park had removed it.