Using Summer Early Daylight

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Using Summer Early Daylight

Post by SNOOOOW »

That is awesome Jeff. I hope you stay on course and continue your success.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Walked 8.7 miles in the hills today to verify my choose in trail shoes today. Probably my last hike in the hills before the start of the trip.I have worn through 3 pairs of trailer runners since the start of spring.

This is out first backpacking trip since 2017. Looking forward to enjoying the Sierra in September.
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We had a good trip last week. Whitney trail was still covered near the summit. My 72 year old brother enjoyed the trip enough that he ordered his own backpack. It felt good to do the trip and be 45 pounds lighter than I was back in April.

He doesn't plan to section hike the whole PCT with us. He wants to come back next year and hike from Hwy 120 to Sonara pass with us next summer. My wife and I decided that we will opt for a more pleasant 10 miles or so a day average and not worry about how many year we take to section hike the PCT. Without my brother joining us we can be very impromptu in those areas not requiring long lead times to secure permits. We are going to set a goal for more frequent resupplies and keeping my wife's pack weight near 20 pounds.
Jeff