benson loop with tilden/stubbfield lolipop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
damu21
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

benson loop with tilden/stubbfield lolipop

Post by damu21 »

i have 5 days 4 nights the first week of october. my first time to this northern area of yosemite. id say im a level 2 backpacker comfrotable with some class 2 easy off trail stuff. im thinking to start at twin lakes go clockwise across mule and burro pass, down to smedburg and over to seavy pass. from here i want to head over into kerrick canyon maybe find my way into stubblefield canyon or, just hit tilden lake. then back to the main loop up kerrik meadow back to TH. im okay with some easy off trail nav.

or would it make more sense to just do a big loop from twin lakes up to walker meadow down dorothy lake, over seavy and benson pass then up matterhorn back to twin lakes? i want some solitude and 15-20 miles a day. i could have an extra day if itd make a difference.

thanks.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: benson loop with tilden/stubbfield lolipop

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Don't forget that you will have reduced daylight hours in October. 15-20 miles that time of year is a very ambitious plan. Make a point of camping where you get early sunlight. If you are deep in the middle of Stubblefield Canyon you will be in the shade well into morning. There likely will be lingering snow, it may freeze at night which would make timing of snow crossings important. Stubblefield is great. When I did it the crossing at the canyon outlet was quite deep- not sure what it would be like this year. I would not classify all the off-trail to get into and out of Stubblefield as "easy". You may want to delete this in favor of a dedicated trip just to Stubblefield at some other time.

When you are in forest, there will be navigation issues off-trail even if it is technically "easy". Take a GPS if you are not experienced in navigation. I would call a lot of off-trail in that area as "small-scale rough". There are a number of game trails and use-trails if you can find them.

And as always shoulder season, get a good weather report before you start. Know your "bail-out" routes if weather goes bad. Regardless of the route you take you should get solitude. You could also do that loop from Leavitte Meadows.

Be aware that it may be hunting season. Wear some bright colors.

Personally, I think you are trying to cover too much area in the short time. Seems like two separate trips would work better. A map showing your proposed routes would be helpful to see.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Daisy has given you excellent advisories. When we hike in October, we always like to stay within a day's hike of a trailhead, just in case the weather goes whacky.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If not already done, write out each day's travel plan: miles and elevation gains, then estimate the time of travel. Use a rate that you have done in the past on trails. In general off-trail will go between 1-1.5 mph depending on difficulty. On trail maybe 2-2.5 mph. Then add between half an hour (in shape with a relatively light pack) to one hour (heavier pack, not acclimated) for each 1000 feet elevation gain. Only you can determine if the proposed route is reasonable for your abilities and how many hours you want to be walking each day.

There is more elevation loss and gain than you may expect. PCT hikers always are surprised by the difficulty - they also have to contend with difficult early-season stream crossings.

You could keep with your original plan and have a "Plan B" if you have to shorten it at any point if behind schedule.

I believe it was last Fall that we had a post where people shared their late season horror trips when weather turned bad. You may want to read it.

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=22653
damu21
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by damu21 »

i tried posting the picture of the route i made on gaia but its too large. all great points, ill probably stick to the core route 10-15 miles per day. i just want to some solitude in the mountains. maybe test my off trail nav into slide canyon a bit nothing crazy. its a tricky balance between pushing myself and testing my navigation abilities and just having a good trip, especially not being local.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

In October you will have solitude. And any time you get more than 1/4 mile off trail, you will also have solitude. Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to hike yourself to death--expecially at a time of year when the weather can change so quickly and so drastically.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963