TR: Taboose to Ionian Basin and back, 8/9-8/16, 2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Taboose to Ionian Basin and back, 8/9-8/16, 2023

Post by Moonwalker »

kpeter wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:55 pm It sounds like a beautiful trip on top of the world! And how wonderful to do it with your son. When I get a chance to pack with one of my children, it is extra special to me.

I also hike in Altra Lone Peak--I have to wear women's sizes to get them narrow enough for my feet, but they fit wonderfully and they have essentially eliminated my blister problems as well as being as light as trail runners. One problem with them--I wear out a pair every year--they are not durable.
It was all of that, thanks. And ain't that the thing with ultralight, they'll make it light, but it will be expensive, and it usually won't last long. I definitely feel lucky I can afford to do this stuff. Cheers to everyone who make up this community. -Eric
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

What a great trip report.
The pure distance travelled, cross country in snow..is amazing.
Being 67 I still hope to get to Ionian Basin some day. I love the pics of the frozen lakes there. Another year missed.
Maybe next year.
maxr22
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by maxr22 »

Thank you for the good trip report. Would you be able to describe the approach you took for black giant pass? I am curious. Was it something like the picture below?
InkedCapture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

maxr22 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:07 pm Thank you for the good trip report. Would you be able to describe the approach you took for black giant pass? I am curious. Was it something like the picture below?

InkedCapture.jpg
No, we stayed on the rock islands to the left of the route on your picture. Can you see a small rock island that looks like a flying owl, wings out and bending down? We headed for that. Stayed on the rocks except to move up between them for the short distances you can see. Once we were high enough it was an easy walk over to the pass. Much easier than it looked, but the original plan was to minimize the exposure. -Eric
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I dig the owl-- looks like a "barnie." I wonder if your energetic son raced up Black Giant Peak? It has one of the finest views, and is an easy romp up. Maybe you'll do it max.

IMG_0507.JPG
View south from BG, and off to the southeast the view of the Palisades is fantastic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
LordXar
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by LordXar »

Was the taboose pass trail totally gone, and alot of snow? Was that first campe (for about 4/5 tents), about 5 miles up, snowy? Or only at the very top?
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

Harlen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:23 am I dig the owl-- looks like a "barnie." I wonder if your energetic son raced up Black Giant Peak? It has one of the finest views, and is an easy romp up. Maybe you'll do it max.

IMG_0507.JPG View south from BG, and off to the southeast the view of the Palisades is fantastic.
Great suggestion, that's one of my favorite views as well. When we got up to BG pass we were worried we'd get stormed on, and pretty keen to see what was waiting for us in Ionian Basin. It didn't even occur to us to go up there. But I took him there on one of his first trips, 7 years ago. Here he is coming down through the scree:
909D277E-FF5D-4DCA-986E-94596D82E023_1_105_c.jpeg
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

LordXar wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:59 am Was the taboose pass trail totally gone, and alot of snow? Was that first campe (for about 4/5 tents), about 5 miles up, snowy? Or only at the very top?
No the trail was intact all the way to the top, where it got a little lost in some snow. That camp was fine. -Eric