TR: Humphreys Basin in Perfect Stormy Weather!  8/9 - 8/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amateurninja
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Humphreys Basin in Perfect Stormy Weather!  8/9 - 8/15

Post by amateurninja »

What an awesome TR and photos!

I was planning to go to this part in Sep and this is a lot of beta to work with! :)
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Harlan is second only to Muir himself, as the principal reason why the Sierra is over crowded! Man, those those lovely pictures, even makes bad weather appear as something one hopes to encounter. On a more serious note, this is a GREAT TR. I agree with Cameron, this is the finest report of Humphreys that I've read. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with your POV, that Alpine Col is the key to an efficient detour around the Bent Bridge. It is a very straight forward, doable XC, probably knocks two days off the next best option. I love touring Humphrey's basin, camping at the different lakes, and fresh fish usually a given. I agree the sight lines make apparent how vast the range is.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gogd sent me a contentious PM, calling me a dumb_ _ _ _ for using the name "Leopard Lily" instead of "Tiger Lily."
This got me going back into my dusty old botany texts, and into the Internet, and here's what I found, and how I'll reply:
Okay Ed, you cheeky bastard, here's what I've found by researching Calflora, INaturalist, and my own Jepson Manual, et.al....
The name currently in use seems to be this: Lilium kelleyanum-- Jepson Manual Treatment.
So there, I'll use diversion instead of admitting defeat. I was unable to determine if this is also commonly called either "Tiger," or "Leopard" Lily; the only common name that comes up is "Kelley's Lily." Too bad, as I'd prefer either of the former common names. In the Jepson Manual, it does say that L. kelleyanum "intergrades with L.parvum in south Mono County." Perhaps it does so a bit farther south too?

To make things more difficult, L. pardalinum ssp. pardalinum (Leopard Lily) also hybridizes with L. Parvum-- the Tiger Lily!
You are right Ed, that Tiger lilies do grow higher up than Leopard Lilies: 1400-2900 m. compared to <1700 m.
But I maintain that like Leopards, my lilies had SPOTS! ;) Cheers, Ian.
BTW, I read that Kelley's Lilies are pollinated by none other than the Swallowtail Butterfly, check out how coated with pollen she is!:

100_2887.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great trip report. Photos in stormy weather are the best.
Thanks for posting.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:52 pm Gogd sent me a contentious PM, calling me a dumb_ _ _ _ for using the name "Leopard Lily" instead of "Tiger Lily."
I am misquoted! Dumb _ _ _ _ is not synonymous with Smart_ _ _ as one implies clueless stupidity; whereas the other implies intentional cheekiness. And you are definitely not stupid, although I am finding I have been out played, and at best qualify for second chair in the brassy, cheekybone section of the orchestra. Good thing I play a mean Jew's harp.

So I followed up your comments with some further homework, and discovered the whole spotted lily thing in the Sierra is not a botany 101 topic. There half a dozen varietals closely resembling each other, with some of the genus text descriptions indistinguishable from each other - at least as published on the web. Some of these doppelgangers appear unique only due to range where found, while some are differentiated by subtle characteristics that are not mentioned, or perhaps identifiable only via genetic analysis. Furthermore some of these varietals have color variations that further befuddle the weekend weed whacker attempts as a field botanist. That said, your hunch on Kelley's Lily (Lilium kelleyanum) is plausible, as Calscape's plant range map indicates the southwest end of Humphreys Basin, lower down and further west in Piute Canyon, as well as parts near Aspendell are all potential habitats for Kelly's Lily. https://calscape.org/Lilium-kelleyanum-()

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like soloing with friends.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Moonwalker »

Spectacular photos, the first one especially beautiful. This weather added a depth; flowers and scents and a springtime feel. I've never seen Humphreys Like this. Great report, thanks for sharing!
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Thank you Ian. Awesome photos, and trip description. Having started a new job I won't get to the Sierra this season, so I am living vicariously through trip reports and photos which have left me wanting. Your report nailed it for me.

Rain can be a bear, but right at the edge, just before or just after, and especially at dusk or at daybreak...the calm, the light, the shadows perfectly balanced with the Sierra as the canvas. Stunningly beautiful and calmingly beautiful in the same breath. I can make it to next summer now.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

Fantastic trip report! I passed through on the 15th and truly, the basin was in peak form (minus a mercifully short bit of hail) - greener and wetter than I've ever seen it, and absolutely brimming with wildflowers (including plenty of what I've always called "tiger lily" - but I'll take it at any name)!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Ian, fantastic TR.. loved all the pics.. I have a favorite..it is with the two dogs in the lupine field with Glacier Divide in the background.
I hope to be close by next week. I confess, while I love your pictures with the complex weather, I am hoping for nothing but clear blue skies.
My preference is to camp as high as you..just a flat spot.. and like others in the post.. if lightning gets you..so be it!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for all of the kind comments. shawnterustic, we're glad you got to see it so green and flowering, and Robert, good luck on your upcoming trip-- hope you can find the big fish! And stevet-- All work and no play this summer? Oh no!

Gogd writes:
I am misquoted! Dumb _ _ _ _ is not synonymous with Smart_ _ _ as one implies clueless stupidity; whereas the other implies intentional cheekiness...
Why can't I be both? I'll keep trying to add these asses above to my very favorite title-- Jackass! :)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.