no Ansel Adams Permits right now?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
marinfish
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: no Ansel Adams Permits right now?

Post by marinfish »

Am I correct in seeing there will be no access up to Agnew Meadows? Looks like there is still no estimated opening date. Might have to change my plans from my mid August start from the River Trail. Thank you.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FrankPS »

marinfish wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:51 pm Am I correct in seeing there will be no access up to Agnew Meadows? Looks like there is still no estimated opening date. Might have to change my plans from my mid August start from the River Trail. Thank you.
I just called the Inyo National Forest. I have permits ending in Agnew Meadows for late August and early September. They basically said they don't know when access to Devils Postpile will open. They said it "might" be open.

Time to get backup permits!
marinfish
Topix Novice

Post by marinfish »

It looks like the road to Red's Meadow will be opening as of today. Shuttle only. FYI.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted

Post by JayOtheMountains »

So, not to post an assumption. Reds Meadow Road will open July 21, 2023 at 8:00 for visitor use. More info at the attached news release: https://www.monocounty.org/blog/post/mo ... ng-update/
marinfish
Topix Novice

Post by marinfish »

Thanks Jay. I mightve jumped the gun. Fingers crossed that Agnew will open up in the next few weeks.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

My usual horse pack in hike out trip is scheduled for Sunday the 30th (scheduled before the epic snow and to enable my daughter to go before she had teaching duties in Idaho). Originally scheduled for Garnet Lake with plan to hike over to 1000 island via the saddle at the sw end of the lakes. Currently the plan is to get packed in to Badger Lakes. From the satellite photo on the 20th it looks like both 1000 Island and Garnet are beginning to breakup and the north shores beginning to melt. My current plan is to continue past Badger lakes and head over to 1000 Island and camp about 1/2 to 2/3 along the n shore expecting rapid melting of both ice on the lake and snow on the s facing slope. Really doubt we will make it to Garnet though.

Also heard from the pack station of reference to Garnet Falls. The person on the phone did not know the location. My assumption is where the outlet of Garnet Lake drops to the San Joaquin. Can anyone confirm?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
jôhorn
Topix Novice

Post by jôhorn »

Received this via email today:

Red's Meadow Road and Starkweather Trail will be closed for construction starting September 18th, Monday through Friday, 24 hours a day. This closure prevents entry/exit on all trails in the Red's Meadow Area (High Trail, River Trail, Shadow Creek, Minaret Lake, John Muir Trail North and South of Devils Postpile, Beck Lake, Fern Lake, Fish Creek). The road and trails will be open for entry/exit on Saturdays and Sundays only.