Any recent reports from Finger Col or Gunsight Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cburton103
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Any recent reports from Finger Col or Gunsight Pass?

Post by cburton103 »

Wrongway wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:12 am Hello! Wrongway (George) is back home now and sitting at his computer. I went over Finger Col on August 25th without incident — my first ever time traveling on snow. And there was plenty of snow: a snowfield on the west side and a succession of snowfields on the east side. The Col itself was clear and only required one semi-Class 3 move to access the (obvious) ledge that leads down from the top on the east side.

Part of my original itinerary was to go over Confusion Pass (which I went over in a drier year), but I thought the better of it since there seemed to be a snow cornice at the top. Next door was Gunsight Pass, and it had a sizable snow cornice. I think I would avoid that one, myself.

I will post pictures once I figure out how to use that function!
Thanks for the information and the photo, George! How did Reinstein go for you? I’m guessing no snow since it faces south.
Wrongway
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Wrongway »

Reinstein Pass had extensive snowfields interspersed with talus all the way on its north side. Again, fairly easy going. There was a short, unavoidable snowfield at the top on the south side, but that was as nothing compared to the patient route-finding involved. I was able to piece together a continuous Class 2 route involving slabs, vegetated gullies, and talus, but it took some doing and I confess to being a little fried by the end. Follow the principle of zig-zagging and doubling back when necessary and you should be fine.

Avoid the western shore of Martha unless you like snow with hidden hollows and a runout into water. Take the long way around.

In Goddard, be sure to cross to the west side of the nascent San Joaquin River as high up as possible. Don't be like this fool and spend so much time fruitlessly looking for a place to camp that you end up making a late-in-the-day ford in slow-moving but knee-high water. Cold!

Speaking of water crossings: You will have at least one of an outlet stream between Finger Col and Lake 10232. I don't think it can be avoided. On the way to Lake 10232 itself, be sure to stay to the west (left) of the creek. Crossing it either way looked to be a risky proposition.

The whole area is beautiful and the route-finding is more involved than you might expect. Leave yourself plenty of time to move carefully, deliberately, and appreciatively.

Personally, I called an audible, gritted my teeth, and continued down Goddard to Hell for Sure Pass. Not my favorite, but snow-free and easy enough to follow even in its deplorably unmaintained state.
Wrongway
Topix Novice

Post by Wrongway »

Sorry! Meant to add: Yes, you will bring microspikes and trekking poles, and yes, you will use them!
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

Wow, thanks for the excellent information! That’s exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find out by starting this thread. We’ll probably take a peak at Gunsight Pass (we may even get a bit of a view on the way up towards Martha Lake). We can take Blackrock Pass if needed as a work around.
Wrongway
Topix Novice

Post by Wrongway »

You are very welcome! Just trying to give something back for something I got. I realize, however, that I solipsistically assumed that you would be going the same direction I did and not its exact opposite. In that case, cross the nascent San Joaquin as far south in Goddard as possible (or where safest) and head around the north and east shores of Martha. Likewise, stay on the west (really SW) side of the outlet stream/creek descending from Lake 10232. You'll still have to wade an outlet (or two, maybe) as you make your way slowly around the lakes on the way toward Finger Col.

Out of curiosity: If I understand your proposed route correctly, why even bother crossing back over the Le Conte Divide at all? Why not take Finger Col into Blackcap Basin, Blackcap Pass into Bench Lakes, and Lucifer 1 and 2 into Red Mountain Basin? Or are you keen to go over HFS Pass coming and going?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

George (wrongway): Gorgeous photo of Cathedral and Finger pass and a great contrast with the one CameronM had in his extended writeup. Also kudos for making that route work, and like you, I'll be keen to hear how it goes for cburton! Cameron
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

Wrongway wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:19 pm You are very welcome! Just trying to give something back for something I got. I realize, however, that I solipsistically assumed that you would be going the same direction I did and not its exact opposite. In that case, cross the nascent San Joaquin as far south in Goddard as possible (or where safest) and head around the north and east shores of Martha. Likewise, stay on the west (really SW) side of the outlet stream/creek descending from Lake 10232. You'll still have to wade an outlet (or two, maybe) as you make your way slowly around the lakes on the way toward Finger Col.

Out of curiosity: If I understand your proposed route correctly, why even bother crossing back over the Le Conte Divide at all? Why not take Finger Col into Blackcap Basin, Blackcap Pass into Bench Lakes, and Lucifer 1 and 2 into Red Mountain Basin? Or are you keen to go over HFS Pass coming and going?
Thanks for the additional clarification.

Regarding our route, we don’t plan to cross over HFS coming and going. If possible, we would like to cross over Gunsight Pass to deposit us into the highest drainage in upper bench valley so we can see Bullet, Holster, Six Shooter Lakes, etc on the way to Lucifer 1 and 2. I’m hoping to follow a similar route to one I found on a trip report called six pack of passes (found it on a blog or private website I believe). We’ve wanted to see upper Bench Valley since seven years ago when we first backpacked Red Mountain Basin, but it didn’t work out that trip. We’ll see how it goes this time!
Wrongway
Topix Novice

Post by Wrongway »

I don't blame you for wanting to see the lakes in upper Bench Valley! The whole area is beautiful in an understated way, full of secluded nooks and quiet crannies — much more appealing, in my opinion, than Red Lakes Basin, which seems determined to make a spectacle of itself. In fact, I'm still kicking myself a little for erring on the side of extreme caution this past week and forgoing Confusion Pass in favor of HFS.

Speaking of which: Now that I have figured out how to share photos on this site, here are some of Gunsight Pass (note cornice!) and Confusion Pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

Thanks for the pictures! I reached out to the person who posted the Facebook picture of Gunsight Pass from earlier in the thread. They crossed Gunsight on August 24th I believe. They said there was some reasonable angle snow off to the side that provided a pretty easy work around and that the pass wasn’t bad at all. We’ll see it firsthand on Saturday as we hike up towards Martha and over Reinstein, then again again in a couple more days up close to take a look. We’re both fairly risk averse, so we’ll play it safe. Excited to get on the trail tomorrow!