Kuna/Koip current conditions?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Kyri Freeman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kuna/Koip current conditions?

Post by Kyri Freeman »

I'm having to pivot... have a permit for McGee Creek leaving 9/11, but latest reports have the crossing to Steelhead Lake still very high and a lot of snow on McGee Pass especially going down to Little McGee where I wanted to explore. So I think I'm going to postpone that trip until I can do more of what I wanted to do.

My alternate plan was to leave out of Rush Creek, probably base camp at Alger Lakes, and explore the Kuna/Koip area and that side of Mono Pass. Anyone been up there? Crossings/snow?

Alternate plan 2 was a shorter trip up to Tyee Lakes... guessing that's probably fine by now but let me know if you have beta.

TIA
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kuna/Koip current conditions?

Post by FrankPS »

Went from the Mono/Parker Pass trailhead to Agnew Meadows on 8-22. No snow issues. Camped at Kuna Falls, just over Parker Pass. Beautiful. Also camped at Alger Lakes and Thousand Island Lake. Rush Creek has a bridge over it, but no problem stream crossings anywhere.