TR: Virgina Lakes to Smedberg Lake and Volunteer Peak 08/25/23 to 08/29/23.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

TR: Virgina Lakes to Smedberg Lake and Volunteer Peak 08/25/23 to 08/29/23.

Post by KathyW »

I'm heading in on 08/26/23 from Virgina Lakes (Hoover Wilderness) to Summit Lake, over Benson Pass, on to Smedberg and Rodgers Lakes and then Volunteer and Pettit Peaks before retracing my steps back out.

I see on the satellite images there isn't much snow but I am wondering if there are any tricky water crossings or if any of the few patches of snow are tricky.

Anyone been in via Virgina Lakes or been at Rodgers Lake recently that can report on conditions?

Edit to add trip report now and that I am back:

The trip was really nice. No problems going over Summit Pass or Benson Pass. Water crossings were easy, flowers were beautiful, and mosquitoes were not too bad overall. Photos and map: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... -Yosemite/
Last edited by KathyW on Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Question on Conditions Virgina Lakes to Summit Lake...

Post by balzaccom »

As I recall, the trickiest part of anything in that area is the north side of Mule Pass, which can still have snow quite late in the season...but pleaty of talus around if you want to test your knees and avoid the snow.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

balzaccom wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:58 pm As I recall, the trickiest part of anything in that area is the north side of Mule Pass, which can still have snow quite late in the season...but pleaty of talus around if you want to test your knees and avoid the snow.
Thanks. I won't be going over Mule Pass. I will just go over the pass (not named as far as I know) between Virginia Lakes and Summit Lake (looks like some snow to deal with as it is the high point of the trip) and Benson Pass.
Last edited by KathyW on Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Not snagging Piute as well on the same trip? How'd you decide on Virginia Lakes as the start point?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:55 am Not snagging Piute as well on the same trip? How'd you decide on Virginia Lakes as the start point?
I am far too slow to include Piute in a 5 day trip and 5 days is long enough for me. I did semi-loop starting at Robinson years ago and just stuck to the main trail. This trip gives me about 15 new miles out of the 27 or so (one-way). They will be old miles on the way out but everything looks different when you reverse direction.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Summit Pass - I think that is what they call the pass before Summit Lake. No name on the map.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

you have seen dylan kirbys sps facebook post 8/18 I think the area I believe you are questioning is in this picture. red around it, it is quite steep there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Virgina Lakes to Smedberg Lake and Volunteer Peak 08/25/23 to 08/29/23.

Post by giantbrookie »

Really cool trip to a destination we don't often hear about--I somehow missed this post when it came out. Those views are really not ones you usually see (from summit of Volunteer Peak) so they're especially neat. I had originally planned the "big annual trip" with my daughter to this part of the Sierra. I had hoped to do a 9-day trip that including the usual fishing plus climbs of Volunteer, Petit, and possibly Twin Peaks, but this was back in mid July and there was no some of the target lakes would have been thawed and there were multiple stream crossings that would not have been a good idea in mid July. As a result we opted for lower elevations out of Hetch Hetchy. It's really neat see photos of the Volunteer-Smedberg area. I will certainly plan to get there someday.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;