Snow conditions near Italy Pass/Bear Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Athekev
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Snow conditions near Italy Pass/Bear Lakes Basin

Post by Athekev »

My friends and I will be starting at Pine Creek Pass TH on 9/2 and will be hiking a section of the Sierra High Route going up Puppet Pass (Carol Col),to Humphries Basin, Merriam Lake, Feather Pass, Dancing Bear Pass, to Italy Pass and back out Pine Creek Pass TH.

How are the snow conditions on the 12000ft+ passes (or any other spots that may have snow) in that area? We will have trekking poles but wasn't sure about whether spikes are required/recommended. Are people still planning to bring microspikes/traction at this time of year given the large snowfall? I called the ranger office and they couldn't give much information on it.

Thanks
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow conditions near Italy Pass/Bear Lakes Basin

Post by cgundersen »

Athekev,

I'm guessing conditions will be no worse than they were a couple years ago when my wife and I looped through Bear Lakes basin via the pass adjacent to Feather (which I wrote up in the cross country passes section; see this link: https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=21608). We went back out via Feather and then Roy-Mer and Feather is definitely harder than "Feather-light" and holds more snow (ditto for Roy-Mer). Feather will be your crux pass, and you can simplify your route (and gain more-direct access to spectacular Vee Lake) by doing Feather-light. The photos on that link show modest snow and Ian Harlen included shots with full snow. Cameron
Athekev
Topix Newbie

Post by Athekev »

cgundersen wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:56 am Athekev,

I'm guessing conditions will be no worse than they were a couple years ago when my wife and I looped through Bear Lakes basin via the pass adjacent to Feather (which I wrote up in the cross country passes section; see this link: https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=21608). We went back out via Feather and then Roy-Mer and Feather is definitely harder than "Feather-light" and holds more snow (ditto for Roy-Mer). Feather will be your crux pass, and you can simplify your route (and gain more-direct access to spectacular Vee Lake) by doing Feather-light. The photos on that link show modest snow and Ian Harlen included shots with full snow. Cameron
Hi Cameron,
Thanks! It looks very clear of snow in your photos of the Feather-light pass. Would you recommend snow traction/spikes or should any patches be easy to go around?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Assuming you do "Feather-light" most of the remnant snow should be on the northwest (Den) side which means you can either avoid it (if it's full of sun cups), or slide/glissade on it. It should not be any problem. Cameron
Horscht
Topix Novice

Post by Horscht »

Athekev,
we did the exact same route (with feather-light) a week ago (21 to 26 Aug) and did not encounter major issues regarding snow. We donned microspikes twice but it was more for the ease of mind than really useful. The suncups helped a lot and the snow is soft enough to kick steps. The only stretch where you might want to use them is between Dancing Bear and Italy pass - makes it easier to go in a straight line but you should be able to get around the steeper snow fields.
Have a great trip, it’s an amazing area! Horscht