New loop suggestions 20-25 miles less 5000 feet again

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

New loop suggestions 20-25 miles less 5000 feet again

Post by Ultrajen »

I have a running trip coming up at the end of September and I need a 20 to 25 mile loop or out and back if I can figure out transportation that has reasonable climbing climbing. The Crownpoint loop would be perfect but I just did that so many of the loops I know are either much longer or much steeper. My plan was to fast pack the evolution loop but I am so much slower with a pack on my back and I’m training for a big race in November. It makes way more sense to just do a very long Saturday and a shorter Sunday and camp at a campground. I still get all that mountain beauty but can cover more miles. I did some research on Sunday night and it looks like Virginia Lakes to Green Lake and back might be good. Also Virginia Lakes to Tuolomne if I could figure out how to use Yart. But I thought you all might have other suggestions. I fell in love with a Hoover Wilderness, but it is definitely farther for me, so I’m open to anything from Bishop to Bridgeport. I thought the saddleback loop would be a perfect shorter second day, so then maybe something from mammoth to Bridgeport would make more sense. Looking forward to ideas someone else suggested Yosemite to Mammoth, or a mammoth to Yosemite.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: New loop suggestions 20-25 miles less 5000 feet again

Post by giantbrookie »

Here are some suggestions:
1. As noted in the post of your Crown Point TR: Virginia Lake over the crest by way of Summit Lake into Virginia Canyon then to Virginia Canyon headwaters (Return Lake and vicinity) over Virginia Pass to Green Lake and then East Lake and then out to Virginia Lake.

2. A classic off trail loop out of Saddlebag Lake can be executed clockwise or anticlockwise (clockwise described): Saddlebag L over shoulder of North Peak to Roosevelt Lake, then over saddle to Mc Cabe Lakes and back to Saddlebag. The loop can be widened to head further west and it can also be widened to cross south of Mt Conness (instead of N of Conness) either via the saddle S of Conness or even (very adventurous) going over the top of White Mtn.

3. (probably >25 mi). A gorgeous loop can be done out of Dana Meadows in Yosemite, and I did this in 2014 (called "Yosemite Inside-Out"). This can also be executed in either direction. This is described in the anticlockwise direction as I did it in 3 days in 2014:
day 1 starts off on the trail and heads for Helen Lake but then leaves the trail and goes off trail over the Kuna Col or whatever it's called and does a long off trail traverse that ends at Lost Lakes. day 2 goes from the Lost Lakes, sort of "wrapping around the corner" to intercept the trail at Gem Pass eventually reach the Alger Lakes. My buddy and also did a little side dayhike to Crest Lake while en route (actually it wasn't a dayhike because we brought our full packs originally intending to camp at Crest L). day 3 goes from Alger Lakes to Dana Meadows entirely on trail. The section between Koip and Parker Passes ranks as one of the most visually stunning on-trail hikes I've ever done. My buddy and I added on climbs of Koip and Kuna Peaks en route. For me days 1 and 3 rank among the very finest days I've ever spent hiking in the Sierra.

4. An spectacular loop can be done out of Little Lakes Valley to Spire and Split Lakes--it's more of a lollipop, I guess. I did this with Judy in 1996 as a overnighter (ie two day trip). The first part (anticlockwise) goes from Little Lakes Valley over Peppermint Pass NE of Bear Creek Spire to Spire Lake (spectacular but a bit bleak for comping) and then to Split Lake (plenty of good places to camp). From Split Lake you do a northward traverse over a couple of ridges and pass by or above Finch Lake, then head through an easy pass to the Morgan Lakes, then over Morgan Pass and back into Little Lakes Valley.

5.Some good lollipop loop trips can be done in Humphreys Basin and environs with a starting point at North Lake (heading over Piute Pass).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Thank you so much I’m very interested in number one because it’s the right elevation according to Gaia you just don’t know the area at all.

I can’t imagine being on your heart for an hour and a half or two when I’m exhausted and starving from running so I think I wanna do a loop or out and back.

I’ve done Bear Creek spire out of little Lakes Valley. I’m not sure I would consider that runnable haha but it sounds like a really cool hiking route.

Piute what is the original plan but then it’s kind of far to do saddlebag which seems like a perfect second day if I can find a closer day 1 loop.

I’m going to try to figure out your Dana Meadows Loop.

You are such an amazing resource. Thank you.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Ultrajen wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:14 pm I’m going to try to figure out your Dana Meadows Loop.
Check out the 2014 TR for the Dana Meadows-Lost Lakes-Alger Lakes, Koip-Parker, etc. loop:https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?p=86990

Note you can click on the annotated topo map at the beginning and zoom in to see all of the route details.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

If this venue is a trail running activity, consider car camping in Horseshoe Meadow. First day trip is out and back to Mt Langley. Old Army Pass will shorten the route a mile, but is too rustic to attempt running through; therefore approach using New Army Pass. Day Two is another out and back, heading over Cottonwood Pass to Big Whitney Meadow and beyond if so desired. This trip will be less traveled, so you don't want to be too gung ho and end up with a twisted ankle and no one around to help you get back. A third option is going over Cottonwood Pass, and returning via New Army Pass.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

A great route but I’ve done it
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

giantbrookie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:52 pm
Ultrajen wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:14 pm I’m going to try to figure out your Dana Meadows Loop.
Check out the 2014 TR for the Dana Meadows-Lost Lakes-Alger Lakes, Koip-Parker, etc. loop:https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?p=86990

Note you can click on the annotated topo map at the beginning and zoom in to see all of the route details.
Thank you!!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

So you want a long day-hike that you can run? Thus, no issues with wilderness permits because you are not camping in the backcountry.

How about the Cathedral Range out of Tuolumne Meadows? You could head up the Rafferty Creek Trail to Tuolumne Pass, then directly down trail along Fletcher Creek to its junction with Lewis Creek, then up trail along Lewis Creek and over Vogelsang Pass and back down to Tuolumne Pass. Then, if you've had enough, head back down the Rafferty Creek Trail. Or if you need more, head over to Evelyn Lake, then beyond to Ireland Creek and down it to the John Muir Trail in Lyell Canyon and back to Tuolumne. All of this is on well-maintained trail and very scenic. It's also a popular area, and you will be passing many backpackers, but at least you won't be competing with them for Wilderness Permits.

-Phil
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Out and Back: Piute Pass Trailhead to Four Gables Peak. Trail and easy cross-country. About 25 miles with 5000' gain. Beautiful.

https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... 20-102713/