Advice Request: Ten Lakes -> Tuolomne

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Advice Request: Ten Lakes -> Tuolomne

Post by sambieni »

Two q's about Ten Lakes -> Tuolomne via Glen Aulin. Considering taking my 8 yo son there over Labor Day weekend - yes, we have permits.

1) Does anyone know of a good spot to camp after Ten Lakes Basin, but before May Lake/Polly Dome Lakes, likely base of Tuolomne Peak? Is there water there? Campspots? I am not sure if he'll want to do the full 10 miles with climbing the Tuolomne Peak from Ten Lakes to get to Polly Dome, just trying to figure out my options if we need to make trip a day or so longer.

2) Odds of hitching from Tuolomne to Ten Lakes Trailhead on Labor Day once we exit? Lack of hiker buses / socializing at the store make things tough.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Advice Request: Ten Lakes -> Tuolomne

Post by c9h13no3 »

sambieni wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:25 am 2) Odds of hitching from Tuolomne to Ten Lakes Trailhead on Labor Day once we exit? Lack of hiker buses / socializing at the store make things tough.
Depends on your level of attractiveness and what time you're looking for a ride, but if you're one person that looks like a hiker, I'd be shocked if you waited longer than 20 minutes. You won't get dropped off at May Lake, but close enough.

This route also looks like a good candidate for a bike shuttle if you're finishing the hike at a weird time, or hitching gives you the willies. Coast mostly downhill to Tenaya Lake on your bike/rollerblades/scooter and then walk the 1.3 miles up to the May Lake TH.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:55 am
sambieni wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:25 am 2) Odds of hitching from Tuolomne to Ten Lakes Trailhead on Labor Day once we exit? Lack of hiker buses / socializing at the store make things tough.
Depends on your level of attractiveness and what time you're looking for a ride, but if you're one person that looks like a hiker, I'd be shocked if you waited longer than 20 minutes. You won't get dropped off at May Lake, but close enough.

This route also looks like a good candidate for a bike shuttle if you're finishing the hike at a weird time, or hitching gives you the willies. Coast mostly downhill to Tenaya Lake on your bike/rollerblades/scooter and then walk the 1.3 miles up to the May Lake TH.
Thanks. It will be 2 of us hitching - not gonna leave my 8 yo behind. Car will be at Ten Lakes TH, not May Lake.
recked
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by recked »

Re:#1 11mi +2500' -3000' would be more enjoyable broken into two days. Lakes are overrated for camping anyway, a collapsible bucket turns even the smallest stream into a perfect shower. At the end of August 2016 there was water and a level tent pad hereabouts https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.8902 ... z=19&b=mbt
N37 53.412 W119 29.271
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Jeffrey Schaffer's "Yosemite National Park" trail guide says there are "suitable campsites on either side" of the upper South Fork Cathedral Creek. I've always found him to be an accurate guide. He also mentions possible campsites near a small pond high on the northeast ridge of Tuolumne Peak, just where the trail starts to descend eastward down the slope towards Murphy Creek. I'm planning to take that trail about a week after you and figure that pond should be good for a water source in this very high snowpack year. In fact, the latest (8/24) Sentinel Hub image still shows a snowbank feeding that pond!
-Phil
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thanks. We actually landed Glen Aulin TH so going to do GA -> May Lake -> Sunrise - > TM over 4 days with him. Will kick his butt. He'll love it.

Anyone know if there is water at Sunrise camp or need fill up Sunrise Lakes?
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

The camps themselves are closed this year...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

balzaccom wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:49 am The camps themselves are closed this year...
Yes. You can still camp in the nearby locations; just the HSCs aren't running and crowded.

Vogelsang and May lake each have creek and lakes beside them when HSC isn't running so piped in isn't an issue. . I'm not clear about Sunrise camp water availability I believe there is a creek but wasn't sure.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

sambieni wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:23 am
balzaccom wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:49 am The camps themselves are closed this year...
I believe there is a creek but wasn't sure.
When I passed Sunrise HSC a few weeks ago, the creek through the camp was running just fine (as were all of the little creeklets coursing through the meadow below).
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

shawnterustic wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:20 pm
sambieni wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:23 am
I believe there is a creek but wasn't sure.
When I passed Sunrise HSC a few weeks ago, the creek through the camp was running just fine (as were all of the little creeklets coursing through the meadow below).
Thanks. That's what I assumed and was hoping for.