info/conditions request: Pine Creek Pass trail

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

info/conditions request: Pine Creek Pass trail

Post by grampy »

I have a permit next week 8/22 for Pine Creek Pass.

Asking primarily about conditions up to the pass; I read a FB post suggesting to cross Pine Creek at the P.C. Lake outlet, rather than the usual log bridge crossing located a bit downstream (I’ve never done this trail, so only repeating what I’ve read).

>> do current conditions of Pine Creek still warrant this (or have they gotten even worse) ??

Also, wondering about best camping areas to look for around Pine Lake (or Upper Pine Lake) for my first night.

I was originally (and optimistically) planning a trip looping through Bear Lakes Basin, but will likely scale this trip back to instead loop through Royce Lakes and Granite Park, conditions permitting. However, before heading for Royce, I’d first like to visit Merriam and Lasalle lakes, hoping to do recon for “Feather Light” Pass (as described by @cgunderson).

And yes, I’m monitoring the monsoon/storm warnings through next week in the southern/eastern Sierra; if weather warrants I will put the trip off til conditions improve.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: info/conditions request: Pine Creek Pass trail

Post by Rockyroad »

I had similar concerns regarding this trail as I've never been on it. I wasn't sure if high water from the storm will prevent me from exiting down this trail on the 22nd. Also, since this weekend sounds like it will be miserable, I changed my entry date to the 23rd. I will assess the footbridge and stock crossing on the way up but expect to cross at Pine Creek Lake's outlet as others have suggested. If for some reason, trail damage or an impassable creek prevents me from continuing on to Pine Creek Pass, that would be a better situation than having to find another way out. Perhaps I will see you out there.
vagabondmountainman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vagabondmountainman »

I called the Bishop ranger station 2 weeks ago to get conditions reports for Pine Creek trail, Piute Pass and Bear Lakes/7 Gables areas as well. At that time the ranger told me Pine Creek was impassable on the way up due to one of the waterfalls/stream crossings that the trail switchbacks past running to high. My guess is it would probably be worse now with the snow melt and rain. It might be possible to take another route around the waterfall crossing, by crossing lower and cutting switchbacks, but its pretty steep in that area. In terms of the stock crossing, its very flat there, and likely would atleast not be a dangerous spot to wade across as long as its not much more than waist high. I'd call the Bishop or Mammoth Ranger station though. They should be able to give you a very up to date report. Piute was just fine to get in last week, and you might be able to get in from the Lake Edison side as well. Please post a review if you go. I'm hoping to head up there in 3 weeks. Last year it was beautiful in the basin in early September.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Yes, I’ll call the Bishop office, maybe on Tuesday.
Does anyone have info on campsites around Pine Lake (in particular, the area just before the trail crossing below its outlet) ??
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted

Post by DaveDill »

The best campsites at Lower Pine Lake are along the north shoreline shortly after crossing the outlet. There maybe some spots before the outlet but I don’t recall seeing any.
Dave
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Thank you @DaveDill - I’ll keep an eye out for them
ekshea
Topix Newbie

Post by ekshea »

Just to add in case anyone is wondering: Went up to Pine Creek Pass/Elba/Moon/L lakes on August 5. The streams were running high but we did the normal 'hiker' crossing across Pine Creek. We definitely got our feet wet but the log was (mostly) out of the water. The major crossing above Upper Pine Lake was wet but not scary.

There was a short snow field on the north side of Pine Lake (over the talus field. We didn't use our microspikes) and another snow field on the way up to the pass (after the junction with the trail to Honeymoon). Overall everything was in pretty good shape, given what this year has been.