SEKI NP Storm Damage Assessments

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI NP Storm Damage Assessments

Post by limpingcrab »

Lenier wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:44 am
limpingcrab wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:57 pm Sad. There goes most of my access to the record snowpack.

I can't help but think that if it was 1950 they'd get some bulldozers and asphalt and have the roads open within a couple weeks. I've helped with some projects in the park and imagine they'll have 93 evaluation reports and meetings before getting started.
You should probably check out the insane level of damage first before making non-helpful and critical comments like this. It's pretty astounding how many mudslides, road washouts, and other problems exist right now. The fires a few years ago are largely to blame, as you'll notice that the problem areas are primarily roads in or below where the KNP/SQF fires impacted the park. They've already done a ton of work, and this isn't even the first storm that's caused massive issues this season.
I was aware when I made this post. I'm one of the few people to see the drone footage that the park used to evaluate the 180 to Kings Canyon since it was taken with a drone from Hume Lake. I also know some employees who said that the road to the Giant Forest was repaired in time for the three day weekend but wasn't opened because "it would've been a zoo," so they postponed a week.

Yes, some of the road damage is insane and slow repairs are understandable, but my problem is more with the overall strategy the park has taken. It seems like ever since they closed the park for Covid they realized they can close if they come up with an excuse and it's easier than trying to manage visitors and problems at the same time. I've met the new superintendent and he's very capable and nice but is quickly getting the reputation for defaulting to closure "just in case." It seems like public access keeps getting lower and lower on the priority list, as many have noticed for quite a while, and it's a bummer.

Also, I was just grumpy when I wrote that post because the closures ruined some plans :soapbox:
sukhoi_584th
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: SEKI NP Storm Damage Assessments

Post by sukhoi_584th »

@limpingcrab it was the same thing with the Inyo closing so much during 2020 and 2021 due to "fire danger" even when there were no fires remotely near the closed areas. I've taken to booking Yosemite and Humboldt-Toiyabe permits as backup plans for later summer trips since Inyo isn't reliably open in a drought.