Peeler/Robinson lake loop extension suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Peeler/Robinson lake loop extension suggestions

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ultrajen wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:42 am
c9h13no3 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:48 pm Could always drop your packs, and out & back up into Little Slide on day 1. I thought Robinson Lakes were cool, but didn’t think Crown or Snow were anything special. They’re just run of the mill pretty Sierra alpine lakes.
From the north?
How many miles south shoukd we go ?
The best views of the Hulk are around 9500', in the Maltby Lake vicinity. I suspect the travel time to that point from the North or South comes out to about the same (more elevation gain from the South, more cross country travel from the North), although I haven't done the route from the N myself.

Just given the destinations you've listed (Peeler, Little Slide, Rock Island Lake, Burro Pass), I'd personally plan to carry a pack in a loop up Little Slide Canyon, down the Robinson Lake trail, visiting the rest as side trips without the heavy stuff. But I hate lugging the pack around, and try to construct trips to carry the extra weight as little as possible. But I'm just throwing out ideas after thinking about it for 5 minutes, only considering what I like in a trip.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Ultrajen »

Thank you. Me too. The kid loves loops.
shampeon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shampeon »

I will say I’d rather go up the steeper Little Slide trail. It is a rugged climbers trail, with no real planning or grading.
Going down Little Slide Canyon was one of the more unpleasant trail sections I've done. Steep, branching use trails through aspen thickets, long boulder field navigation. Just a slog.