Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Frano,

I just got back from a short trip way down South (Miter basin) and there were still impressive patches of snow at lower elevations than I thought possible for August. My buddy took the photos, so I have to wait to post a TR, but I think you'll encounter similar unexpected conditions further North. Still, it was great to get away from LA, and the snow contrast on the hills and flower bloom were splendid. Hopefully, conditions will work for you guys! Cameron
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I just finished the first week of August exploring Blackcap, Bench and Red Mountain Basins, most of it between 10-11,000. ft. The mosquitos were intense at 11,000. I can deal with them when I am moving, but really got fed up every time I stopped or camped; it is just no fun at all. I think it likely that Lake Basin at 11,000 ft will still be bad, and the Sentinel shots reinforce that snow/melt-off conditions are similar to where I was. You might want to consider some contingency plans where you can quickly exit to enjoy some different lakes and scenery at 9K or 10K. These are still June conditions.
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spicer'sVet »

We just did a trip from 8/12-8/19 going over Taboose Pass in to Upper Basin area. We had wanted to go over Cartridge Pass to Lake Basin, but most of our group was not comfortable and/or didn't have equipment to handle the snow we knew would be on the north side. So we made a plan to see if we could make it over Vernacher Col, but even that was too intimidating for our group due to it's steepness. So we camped at a lake just east of the Col, which was nice with spectacular views of Upper Basin, then headed northeast to explore the rest of Upper Basin. We got rained on several times, but only for brief periods and /or at night. Snow was not an issue, with only a few patches we had to hike on, nor were mosquitos because we mostly camped at higher elevation lakes above 11k and the wind kept them away. They were worse below in the forested river valley. Taboose Creek and SF Kings were definitely flowing high, but easily crossable with a bit of careful scouting and using caution.

Overall it was a great trip, and we were glad we'd decided to cut it a day short (originally planned to exit 8/20 but someone had to hop on a flight that day) since we just missed Hillary and only felt the beginnings of her wrath on the hike out 8/19.