Mono/Parker Pass (Tioga Rd) area questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lisina10
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mono/Parker Pass (Tioga Rd) area questions

Post by Lisina10 »

Howdy folks, making a last minute change of plans to avoid the weather and will now be entering at Mono/Parker Pass off Tioga. I've never been in that area. Two questions please...

1) We have to drive from the east side to Tuolomne Meadows ranger station to pick up permits in person (annoying). Does anyone know if we should expect delays trying to get into the park on a Wednesday morning from that side?

2) Some maps show a Dana Fork Trail on the north side of Tioga Road (branching off the trail that heads towards the Gaylor Lakes area) that pops out very near the Mono/Parker trailhead. Anyone know if this trail exists? Or thoughts on how straightforward cross country travel would be along the south side of Dana Fork from the Tuolomne Meadows area? Was thinking I might want to make a loop coming from the Vogelsang area.

Thanks!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Mono/Parker Pass (Tioga Rd) area questions

Post by mxoyez »

1. On a Saturday morning at 10am a week ago I didn't have any delays, so I don't think you should have any on a Wednesday :D

2. I don't know sorry

Have fun, its a really nice area.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mono/Parker Pass (Tioga Rd) area questions

Post by narc1370 »

I was just there on a Wednesday morning, two weeks ago. I grabbed coffee/breakfast at Whoa Nelly Deli around 6:45am and was at the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station by 7:30am. Zero traffic. The longest part of the routine is waiting in line to get your permit after they do the speech. There were a good 15-20 of us there for the initial one.