Advice: Piute / Pine Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Advice: Piute / Pine Creek

Post by sambieni »

I am thinking solo trip in two weeks from Pine Creek to Piute or vice versa over 4 days, maybe 5 w side trip somewhere. I have permits and will decide next few days which end to cancel and the one to keep.

Any advice for which way to go and do my car drop or hike?

I'll spend 1-2 nights Mammoth before to acclimate. I am namely curious which trailhead easiest to leave car/hitch to or from given I have to do this solo. I imagine easier get in / out of Piute so thinking start Pine Creek and just hitch from Piute to Bishop and taxi to trailhead to retrieve my car.

Welcome any suggestions.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice: Piute / Pine Creek

Post by Harlen »

You write:
I imagine easier get in / out of Piute so thinking start Pine Creek and just hitch from Piute to Bishop and taxi to trailhead to retrieve my car.
I think you correct here, as many folks are now hiking around the twisted river bridge via Piute Pass. We recently hiked back out to North Lake, and gave one hitchhiker a ride, and offered another couple a ride down, but they were waiting for another stranger who had already offered one. Had they told us about their car up in Pine Creek, we would happily have given them a ride up there. I'd take a few bucks with you to offer to pay the gas for the favor of a shuttle up to Pine Creek.

However, unlike the greater ease in finding rides from North Lake, you will experience the greater dis-ease of having to hike up the longer, loose-rockier trail up from Pine Creek. Good Luck on your trip Sambieni!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maxr22
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by maxr22 »

I second @harlen. The climb up pine creek is... not fun, but the climb up piute pass is nicer scenically and physically. I think you will be alright with getting a hitch out of pine creek.

If I remember right, there is cell service at pine creek so you could call a taxi to take you to bishop and then start walking on W line street and definitely get a hitch to south lake. There are also various shuttle services that you could pay for that would pick you up from pine creek/south lake (either direction). I would estimate it would cost about $200.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Very helpful. Thank you. Didn't realize Pine Creek so loose/rocky - I do know its steep, but the two sound less than fun. Hmmmm. Maybe will just do Piute to the JMT junction and back over 4 days. Plan was N/S Lake Loop way back when, but bridge outing curtailed that.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Pine Creek is not that bad.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Pine creek is rocky, rocky rocky. There are rocks of all sizes and shapes. It is sun exposed for miles.
We were there last year and I am nearly positive there was not cell coverage, at least with Verizon. Maybe another carrier.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I am with Harlen. Pine Creek trail is well maintained, but includes 1 - 2 mile section that climbs like a stair case. Me thinks getting a ride out of Pine Creek is less PITA that the schlep up. Try contacting the outfitter servicing the Pine Creek trail, they may have information.

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like soloing with friends.
Kyri Freeman
Topix Novice

Post by Kyri Freeman »

Pine Creek is unfairly maligned! It's actually spectacular with a stunning black and white mountain at the lower lake and then a waterfall and beautiful wildflowers along the trail. It is MUCH easier going down and Piute is very easy so I'd recommend going that way. Trail and crossing conditions, especially with whatever this hurricane is going to do, are always something to think about.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
I would TOTALLY agree, Kyri Freeman. Views of the Whites are wonderful and so is the falls. When we went up, june of 2022, we had a cloud cover and I was really able to enjoy it. Coming down was brutally hot and all I could think about was finding a small patch of shade for a break from the heat.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Kyri Freeman writes:
Pine Creek is unfairly maligned! It's actually spectacular...
You're right of course, but we really begin to love it at the top of the first hill!

100_5143.JPG
Lower Pine Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.