info request: Bubbs Creek, Vidette Creek, East Creek

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

info request: Bubbs Creek, Vidette Creek, East Creek

Post by grampy »

I have a tentative plan for a Kearsarge Pass entry on Aug 8; I’ve been checking reports on trail conditions, so I’m not asking specifically about the pass itself. Thinking of doing a short day 1 to Matlock Lakes or thereabouts, then day 2 over the pass to Kearsarge Lakes (and beyond, if I feel up to it).

What I’m hung up on is what to do AFTER that. In a normal year, I would maybe head over Forester Pass and exit out Shepherd Pass, but this doesn’t seem the year to do that (not until September at least). Heading down to Junction Meadow and up to East Lake and beyond would be great, except for the Bubbs Creek crossing. So, I’m wondering if Bubbs is any more “crossable” around Upper Vidette Meadow - to enabke a possible Vidette Lakes visit, AND whether Vidette Creek itself might present difficult crossing conditions.

I did check the Sentinel imagery for snow coverage in this region, but obviously won’t help with water questions. And yes, maybe I should punt on this plan and find an alternative trip, but thought I would ask. Thanks !

P.S. the SEKI Conditions page makes the following statement:
“ The East Creek Bridge to East Lake has completed construction.”
Does anyone know where this bridge is located ? I assume they mean on the East Creek trail itself, where it crosses East Creek about 0.7 mile south of the Bubbs Creek crossing … just wondering.
desertgal
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: info request: Bubbs Creek, Vidette Creek, East Creek

Post by desertgal »

Don't know how long you are out for but if you're comfortable with old routes / semi-cross-country you could go down Charlotte Creek and work your way up to Gardiner Pass, perhaps into the top of Gardiner Basin; or you could go up to Center Basin which is lovely and little-used (some route-finding at the bottom might be needed, sign comes and goes) or you could wander up to Glen Pass and pop over to Rae Lakes, maybe hike out Baxter or just return via Kearsarge. I'm sure the trail has been well stomped into whatever snow remains. As far as the mysterious East Creek bridge I would recommend contacting the Sequoia-Kings wilderness office (see below), they're pretty good about responding. That would be a great walk if there IS a bridge. You're right in thinking that absent a bridge the Bubbs Creek crossing will be treacherous this year. Bubbs Creek is still a pretty big creek at Upper Vidette but you might find a way across...
SEKI Wilderness Office Phone (559) 565-3766, e-mail: SEKI_Wilderness_Office@nps.gov
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

@desertgal -

I’m planning on 6 days (max), so Gardiner Basin would be a stretch wrt distance AND conditions; see the July 23 TR post by @kylekuzma in the backpacking forum:
https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=23086

I have been following Glen Pass conditions and (until recently) thought it too extreme with all the snow, but it seems to be rapidly improving; water crossing is deep at the Upper Rae outlet, but maybe I could skip Middle Rae and just go to Sixty Lake Basin instead. So thanks for getting me thinking by looking at Gardiner.

Center Basin is lovely, but I don’t want to revisit it on this trip.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@grampy...

About Bubbs Creek, etc. I went to East Lake and Reflection Lake last August (2022) and the initial crossing was fine at Junction Meadow. However, soon after was that Monsoon dump that trashed Death Valley (plus the Sierras down there) and Bubbs became a creamy torrent that would have been beyond my ability to cross. Fortunately I was on the way back from Milestone Basin and Forester so only had to look at it on my left going down to Roads End.
All to say, I suspect it is in similar high flow at present though a first-hand report would be invaluable...Otherwise Vidette Lakes or Reflection would be good side trip options.
By the way, I do recall a bridge over East Creek along the trail there (i.e. south of Bubbs Creek) though no memories of it being spanking new or anything. Maybe that is the one SEKI refers to?

As for other options to extend your hike...Ummmmmmm, it gets pretty limited if ditch Center Basin (which is not bad but I can see why a repeat is not high on the list) and Gardiner Basin. Just a slog over Glen Pass with a cross over to 60 Lake Basin perhaps, but with "sixty lakes" maybe it will be a mosquito bomb?

Sorry not more helpful ~ M.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

grampy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:12 pm P.S. the SEKI Conditions page makes the following statement:
“ The East Creek Bridge to East Lake has completed construction.”
Does anyone know where this bridge is located ? I assume they mean on the East Creek trail itself, where it crosses East Creek about 0.7 mile south of the Bubbs Creek crossing … just wondering.
the bridge is on the East Lake Trail and crosses East Creek at 36.74612, -118.44212

we went over shortly after they finished construction. there is no bridge over Bubbs.
IMG_1506.jpeg
IMG_1507.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
isaac
Topix Novice

Post by isaac »

@enigmagic how was the crossing over Bubbs Creek? Engorged? What time of days did you cross it? Thanks
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

isaac wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:26 am @enigmagic how was the crossing over Bubbs Creek? Engorged? What time of days did you cross it? Thanks
We crossed over in late July 2022, pretty easy at the time. I would assume it's significantly more difficult to cross now :unibrow: