McGree-Silver-Mono Pass Area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
iluka
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

McGree-Silver-Mono Pass Area

Post by iluka »

I'm considering a trip starting August 10 going up McGree Creek, over McGree Pass, west to the JMT, south over Silver Pass and then up Mono Creek and out over Mono Pass to Mosquito Flats. I was wondering if anyone had been up in that vicinity lately and had information on what McGree, Silver and Mono passes look like. Thanks for any information you can provide.
sierra_youf
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: McGree-Silver-Mono Pass Area

Post by sierra_youf »

Been in the McGee creek area 7/22-7/23
At the first creek crossing, the McGee Creek bridge is washed away and the creek crossing is too dangerous (I tried it and turned around in the middle). The trail splits up and there is an alternative creek crossing that didn't look better. On the way back I've seen a casually looking person on the other side, so there may be ways to cross the creek.
I've chose to bush whack (you may be able to avoid the worst to go up scree before the bushes start) and cross a talus field on the western side. Once you are through this section, you can keep on the west side to follow easy granite slabs till you hit the trail again.

Big McGee Lake was still completely frozen over, but I found a nice sandy camp spot close to the lake.

McGee Pass has still a lot of snow coverage and I did turn around at some point. It was also the combination of Lvl 4 mosquitos in many areas and dehydration that made the decision easier. So I don't actually know how bad the pass itself is.

Here an approximate route of the bypass. (The bushwhacking at the start is the worst part)
https://caltopo.com/m/T68G4

For the bypass, aim for the talus on the right side.
1.jpg
The granite slabs behind the talus - looking back. Picture is shot from the meadow where the creek meanders.
2_.jpg
Frozen Big McGee Lake
3.jpg
I don't have a picture of the pass itself, but this was on the approach shortly before Little McGee Lake (the low point in the back is south of McGee Pass).
4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Iluka,

Hard to do better than the preceding post, but at the rate the snow is melting, I'd guess conditions will be significantly less snow-bound by Aug.10. The McGee creek crossing that was washed out was never that great to begin with, and I suspect that by the time you go, the better option will be to wade across at the stock crossing (which is what I've done in high-water years). Nevertheless, there definitely will still be snow on the approach to McGee pass (that canyon is somewhat sun-shielded), so give things a while to warm up in the morning before tackling it. Or carry micro spikes. Cameron
khamike
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by khamike »

I day-hiked up to the first lake yesterday. Someone has strung a handline across the stock ford and it looks doable but you're definitely going to get wet up to your waist. The bushwhack to stay west of the creek looked bad. I was feeling industrious (and somewhat annoyed that the forest service still hasn't fixed the real bridge in almost a decade) so I decided to see if I could contrive a log crossing. The old bridge still gets most of the way across the river, there's only about an 8 foot gap on the far side. I hauled some logs and managed to get them reasonably secure. It held me to get across and back but it wasn't very confidence inspiring and I didn't want someone else to get hurt if they slipped or the logs rolled so I dismantled it before I headed back down. I left the logs there though so if someone else wants to rebuild it they can. Two people would be able to drag the much larger log I saw nearby and make a better bridge.