Any snow near Sonora Pass?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
markv/Cuddles
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Any snow near Sonora Pass?

Post by markv/Cuddles »

Does anyone know how far i'd have to walk (either direction) from Sonora Pass to find snow? ANY snow? Like a patch of snow under the trees enough for a 5-year-old to make a mini-snowman or throw a snowball?

I'm going to be at Kennedy Meadows, and i'm wondering if it's worth the extra drive to go to the pass to see snow.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Any snow near Sonora Pass?

Post by wildhiker »

The latest Sentinel Hub satellite photo of that area from Aug 4 shows many large patches of snow in the bowl south of Sonora Pass. Looks like you would reach the first large patches in 1/2 to 2/3 of a mile walking south on the Pacific Crest Trail.
-Phil
markv/Cuddles
Topix Novice

Post by markv/Cuddles »

Thank you! There are so many great resources for checking things, but i'm just a few years out of the loop on what to check.

I also appreciated your mosquito report. Even though i'm not headed to the same area you were at, it guided me toward looking in the 6000-7500 ft. range, especially since the forecast isn't especially hot.
markv/Cuddles
Topix Novice

Post by markv/Cuddles »

For anyone else with little ones looking for some D-level snow play with A-level views, there is a sizable patch about 2 miles south on 108 from Sonora Pass. Easy to pull over and park and build a mini-snowman.