TR: Taylor Dome, and a rattlesnake encounter - June 18, 2023

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Taylor Dome, and a rattlesnake encounter - June 18, 2023

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,
My quest continues on the SPS list. This weekend I bagged Taylor Dome (and also Sirretta Peak, which I'll write about in a separate TR). I found Taylor Dome to be relatively short and fun. The summit block had a spicy Class 3s4 section. I also had a shocking encounter with a rattlesnake, which I describe below. . .

Beta: To prepare for this peak, I used two previous trip reports:
Driving & Parking: Cherry Hill Road (USFS 22S12) and the Big Meadow Loop Road (USFS 23S07) are both open and accessible to passenger vehicles, as of this writing. I parked at the trailhead for USFS trail 34E37, which is also known as the Manter Meadow trail. There's space for half a dozen cars here, plus extra spots along the road. There were 4 other cars here on a Sunday. Rather than use the main trail 34E37, I used trail 34E15, described below. . .

My Route: I followed an ascent of Bob Burd's descent route. I followed USFS trail 34E15 to a saddle west of Taylor, then traversed cross-country along the ridge towards the peak. Although trail 34E15 has not been maintained, I found it to be in relatively good condition and I easily followed it to the saddle. It was quite steep in places. From the saddle, I side-hilled---not my favorite activity---to reach the western flanks of Taylor. I loved the final half mile ascending the ridge, passing lots of interesting rock gardens and big vistas. Overall, my time from car-to-summit was just under 2 hours.

Summit Scramble: The summit block has a brief exposed section, which I was prepared for. The scariest section is stepping along the shelf and then around an outsloped corner. After that, the chute felt protected, and it was a straightforward boulder problem. This summit block is canonically rated as Class 3, but I've read online discussion claiming it needs a higher rating like "3s4" due to the brief exposure.

After down-climbing the chute and returning to the saddle, I descended north through the forest to rejoin USFS trail 34E37, making a loop back to my car. The northern slope of Taylor Dome has lots of use trails, and they all seemed equally good.

Gear: I carried my sticky shoes (La Sportiva TX4s), and hiked in my normal trail runners (Salomon Ultra 4s). At the saddle below the summit, I switched shoes. Maybe it was overkill for this route, but I had read about exposure on the summit scramble and I wanted to feel comfortable and safe.

Rattlesnake Encounter: Back on the trail, I took a brief nap in the forest. After dozing off, I awoke with a strange sense that something wasn't quite right. As I sat up to investigate, I immediately heard a rattle erupt just inches from me. Without thinking, my body jumped away. Once my brain reconnected, I realized that a rattlesnake had slithered directly beside my nap spot. I don't know if the snake was attracted to my smell, or if it was just a coincidence. Anyway, I found myself in a tricky situation because I had removed my shoes and eyeglasses for my nap... so I was barefoot and blind in the forest, while a rattlesnake curled in strike position on my gear. I found a very long stick and managed to retrieve my shoes and backpack from a safe distance. Eventually, the snake uncoiled and slithered away.

Now I was curious, so I followed the snake for a few minutes as it slithered through the forest. Although I've encountered rattlesnakes in the past, I've never watched one in transit. It was cool to watch it slowly slither through the pine duff, frequently sniffing the air and changing course. The thought occurred to me that rattlesnakes have evolved to really excel in this type of environment. I also had the thought that being a rattlesnake in the Sierra could be a pretty chill lifestyle, in my next life.

52987130137_d0549e2a0a_k.jpg
52987731961_0d4f6a16e2_k.jpg
52987870504_6adbf560fc_k.jpg
figs.002.jpeg
figs.003.jpeg
taylor_register.001.jpeg
52988192653_352f6e5090_k.jpg
52988192718_e7ebf6a070_k.jpg
52988102645_365a6408db_k.jpg
photo_2023-06-20 12.25.32.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: Taylor Dome, and a rattlesnake encounter - June 18, 2023

Post by shawnterustic »

Oh, man - I love Domelands! What a great trip report...surprise rattler and all :)
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

That is a big danger noodle :|
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
VernaStokes
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by VernaStokes »

Flamingo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:39 pm Hi All,
My quest continues on the SPS list. This weekend I bagged Taylor Dome (and also Sirretta Peak, which I'll write about in a separate TR). I found Taylor Dome to be relatively short and fun. The summit block had a spicy Class 3s4 section. I also had a shocking encounter with a rattlesnake, which I describe below. . .

Beta: To prepare for this peak, I used two previous trip reports:
Driving & Parking: Cherry Hill Road (USFS 22S12) and the Big Meadow Loop Road (USFS 23S07) are both open and accessible to passenger vehicles, as of this writing. I parked at the trailhead for USFS trail 34E37, which is also known as the Manter Meadow trail. There's space for half a dozen cars here, plus extra spots along the road. There were 4 other cars here on a Sunday. Rather than use the main trail 34E37, I used trail 34E15, described below. . .

My Route: I followed an ascent of Bob Burd's descent route. I followed USFS trail 34E15 to a saddle west of Taylor, then traversed cross-country along the ridge towards the peak. Although trail 34E15 has not been maintained, I found it to be in relatively good condition and I easily followed it to the saddle. It was quite steep in places. From the saddle, I side-hilled---not my favorite activity---to reach the western flanks of Taylor. I loved the final half mile ascending the ridge, passing lots of interesting rock gardens and big vistas. Overall, my time from car-to-summit was just under 2 hours.

Summit Scramble: The summit block has a brief exposed section, which I was prepared for. The scariest section is stepping along the shelf and then around an outsloped corner. After that, the chute felt protected, and it was a straightforward boulder problem. This summit block is canonically rated as Class 3, but I've read online discussion claiming it needs a higher rating like "3s4" due to the brief exposure.

After down-climbing the chute and returning to the saddle, I descended north through the forest to rejoin USFS trail 34E37, making a loop back to my car. The northern slope of Taylor Dome has lots of use trails, and they all seemed equally good.

Gear: I carried my sticky shoes (La Sportiva TX4s), and hiked in my normal trail runners (Salomon Ultra 4s). At the saddle below the summit, I switched shoes. Maybe it was overkill for this route, but I had read about exposure on the summit scramble and I wanted to feel comfortable and safe.

Rattlesnake Encounter: Back on the trail, I took a brief nap in the forest. After dozing off, I awoke with a strange sense that something wasn't quite right. As I sat up to investigate, I immediately heard a rattle erupt just inches from me. Without thinking, my body jumped away. Once my brain reconnected, I realized that a rattlesnake had slithered directly beside my nap spot. I don't know if the snake was attracted to my smell, or if it was just a coincidence. Anyway, I found myself in a tricky situation because I had removed my shoes and eyeglasses for my nap... so I was barefoot and blind in the forest, while a rattlesnake curled in strike position on my gear. I found a very long stick and managed to retrieve my shoes and backpack from a safe distance. Eventually, the snake uncoiled and slithered away.

Now I was curious, so I followed the snake for a few minutes as it slithered through the forest. Although I've encountered rattlesnakes in the past, I've never watched one in transit. It was cool to watch it slowly slither through the pine duff, frequently sniffing the air and changing course. The thought occurred to me that rattlesnakes have evolved to really excel in this type of environment. I also had the thought that being a rattlesnake in the Sierra could be a pretty chill lifestyle, in my next life.

52987130137_d0549e2a0a_k.jpg

52987731961_0d4f6a16e2_k.jpg

52987870504_6adbf560fc_k.jpg

figs.002.jpeg

figs.003.jpeg

taylor_register.001.jpeg

52988192653_352f6e5090_k.jpg

52988192718_e7ebf6a070_k.jpg

52988102645_365a6408db_k.jpg
The Apktome website provides completely free and safe apps and games, here so you can rest assured the user experience
photo_2023-06-20 12.25.32.jpeg
Thanks for sharing your exciting adventure! It's commendable for conquering Taylor Dome and Sirretta Peak. And actually looking at the snakes gave me chills and goosebumps. I'm so scared of them
Last edited by VernaStokes on Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report, cool summit block, and crazy rattlesnake encounter. I run into a lot of rattlesnakes, mostly doing geologic fieldwork in the CA Coast Ranges (but did meet one in N Yosemite last week), but I've never had an encounter approaching yours in terms of being so awkwardly within striking range. Perhaps the closest I can remember was in the Klamath Mtns doing geologic field work in the summer of 1981 when I sat down on a talus pile to have lunch and heard a loud rattle right beneath my butt (presumably in the shade of the rock I sat on--it was a very hot day). I moved and never saw the snake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I have done a fair amount of hiking in Domelands over the years, and you always have to watch where you put your hands and feet. It is a very arid environments, and you just hope the snake will warn you with a rattle. Unfortunately, so much of this southern sierra wilderness has been impacted by the wildfires the past generation. not as nice as it used to be.....