Blackcap/Bench/Red Mountain Basin routes:

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Blackcap/Bench/Red Mountain Basin routes:

Post by Spicer'sVet »

My group is leaving from Courtright Reservoir on 8/12 for an 8 night trip. We still don't have an exact route planned, but will mostly likely do a loop starting from Blackcap Basin and heading north, or Red Mountain and heading south. Ideally we'd go through all 3 basins, but most likely will only reach 2 because we want a couple of layover days. I'm leaning towards starting at Blackcap Basin and ending at Bench, mainly because I'd like to explore Blue Canyon and the areas east of Finger Col such as Goddard Creek and possibly Lake 10,232.

My main questions are regarding which passes to take to reach these separate basins. My understanding is to reach Blue Canyon we would head south towards Crown Basin and then take Midway pass to get there (not sure where exactly Midway pass is). And frozenintime had a nice report about going over Finger Col from Cathedral Lake to the lakes on the east side, which certainly looks doable. (only they did it in reverse). I'm curious what the best route is from Blackcap Basin to Bench Basin.. I guess Blackcap Pass? Is there another route?

I've also read about Gunsight Pass, Valor Pass, and Confusion Lake Pass as ways to get over the Divide towards the east from either Blackcap or Bench Valley basins. Where exactly is Gunsight Pass and how does one reach it? And I know Lucifer Pass is the route between Bench and Red Mountain Basins.

Kind of a vague post, I know, but any insights on this area and suggestions on how to navigate it would be much appreciated. Obviously much of this will depend on snow conditions as we're not equipped for ice climbing.

Thanks!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Blackcap/Bench/Red Mountain Basin routes:

Post by paul »

To get to Blue Canyon, it's Mantle Pass, not Midway pass (never heard of that one). Take a look at the HST map, and turn on the "Cross Country Passes" layer and you can see a lot of info on these various passes and where they are, etc.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

also, might be some useful info in my trip report from last year to some of that area:
https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... 00#p174500
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Thanks Paul. Yes that trip report was what inspired me to check out Blue Canyon! And I was going off memory when I said Midway Pass, guess I mixed it up with the lake in Blackcap Basin.

I am not familiar with using the HST map, but I'll give it a try...
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Be careful, that HST map is like a narcotic, once you start playing with it, it's hard to stop!