Donohue to Kuna Saddle to Parker Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wvbrad
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Donohue to Kuna Saddle to Parker Pass?

Post by wvbrad »

Hi,

Planning on entering Rush Creek on Tuesday to do a loop out to Garnet/1000 Island Lakes, up to Donohue, off trail to Kuna Saddle, down to Helen Lake, up Parker Pass trail back to Rush Creek. Planned 6 days, 5 nights.
I know it's clear to the lakes, and probably a decent boot track up to Donohue, but the conditions of the off trail to Kuna Saddle are unknown. The Sentinel snow images in CalTopo dont look terrible, but certainly snowy. I have experience in the Sierras and some snow travel. We'll have microspikes, poles and axes, but that's it.
Anyone with info up there? Any alternate routes for 4-6 days in that area one would recommend?
Thanks a ton for any help!!! Coming from Va and want to maximize our trip!
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Donohue to Kuna Saddle to Parker Pass?

Post by BigTubs »

Not too helpful of a reply for what you're seeking... but not sure your route from Donohue to Kuna. I imagine if you're crossing down to Lyell Canyon and then up to the saddle you might be able to skirt around snow patches, but if you're thinking something like Lost Lakes Pass I'm guessing it's still snowed in.

Alger Lakes on the way to Parker Pass is a really nice spot to spend some time.

And if you do make it to Kuna, it's a little out of your way, but there's some cool old mining cabins just south of the trail junction of Parker Pass trail / Mono Pass trail (heading down to Sardine Lakes)
MojaveGeek
Topix Newbie

Post by MojaveGeek »

I have just discovered https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground
I believe this is info which caltopo (pro) imports for image data. I find it a bit hard to use still - every time you zoom you momentarily see a base map and you have to use that to orient yourself to the image. But the image has great snow data. I'm looking around this area now. The most recent image has clouds over the Dana area but the Kuna Crest and on west is pretty visible. It will take a bit of time to learn this tool, but after using MODIS data for years, I'm blown away.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I think the hardest part of your route is Kuna saddle, but the most recent clear Sentinel image (7/25; more recent images have the key areas beneath clouds) shows that it is not completely snowbound, so you can probably avoid any cornices, and then pick and choose a route on talus before getting on the snow (ie descending to the north). With an ice axe and spikes you should be OK.

I did an overlapping route in 2014 sort of in reverse in 3 days from Dana Meadow (https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?p=86990) with day 1 to Lost Lakes via Kuna Saddle, day 2 to the Algers and day 3 over Koip (with side trip to climb Koip and Kuna pks) and Parker Passes and back to Dana Meadow. The day 1 of Dana Meadows to Lost Lakes is one of my favorite all-time days of hiking and the off trail stuff from Helen to Lost Lakes is the reason why.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hi wvbrad,
That looks like a really nice route you've got planned. Great advice for the more remote part of your route, from wildhiker in the Conditions Report, and from GB here. I can give you a bit of advice on the well-traveled part. I reckon you guys can partially avoid the typically VERY crowded area around Garnet and Thousand Island Lakes by staying high in those basins. If you begin at Garnet Lake, you can use the scenic and easy Garnet Pass, and then cross over the top of Thousand Island. This gets you off the Muir/PCT, and into some nice high country. I really love the openness of Island Pass, and the views of Banner are stellar from that angle:

078.JPG
View southeast from Island Pass, with Banner and Ritter left to right in the near background.

Though you're on the TMT/PCT up there at I.P., you guys can take your own route, or find your own camp on the plateau. Of course the view of Ritter and Banner through Thousand I.Lk. is a classic, however, I've known friends to be just shocked at the crowd along the NE side of the lake. I'll bet you won't see anyone up in the Kuna basin-- that should be a great trip! All the Best, Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
wvbrad
Topix Novice

Post by wvbrad »

BigTubs wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:46 pm Not too helpful of a reply for what you're seeking... but not sure your route from Donohue to Kuna. I imagine if you're crossing down to Lyell Canyon and then up to the saddle you might be able to skirt around snow patches, but if you're thinking something like Lost Lakes Pass I'm guessing it's still snowed in.

Alger Lakes on the way to Parker Pass is a really nice spot to spend some time.

And if you do make it to Kuna, it's a little out of your way, but there's some cool old mining cabins just south of the trail junction of Parker Pass trail / Mono Pass trail (heading down to Sardine Lakes)
Big Tubs, thanks for the info- might have some extra time to explore !!
wvbrad
Topix Novice

Post by wvbrad »

giantbrookie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:11 pm I think the hardest part of your route is Kuna saddle, but the most recent clear Sentinel image (7/25; more recent images have the key areas beneath clouds) shows that it is not completely snowbound, so you can probably avoid any cornices, and then pick and choose a route on talus before getting on the snow (ie descending to the north). With an ice axe and spikes you should be OK.

I did an overlapping route in 2014 sort of in reverse in 3 days from Dana Meadow (https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?p=86990) with day 1 to Lost Lakes via Kuna Saddle, day 2 to the Algers and day 3 over Koip (with side trip to climb Koip and Kuna pks) and Parker Passes and back to Dana Meadow. The day 1 of Dana Meadows to Lost Lakes is one of my favorite all-time days of hiking and the off trail stuff from Helen to Lost Lakes is the reason why.
thanks so much for the info- do you think decending to the N from the Saddle is best or to the south? And the lost lakes- I cant find them, are they to the W of the Kuna Crest, to the N of lost lake pass? those have been mentioned twice and now I'm intrigued! thanks
wvbrad
Topix Novice

Post by wvbrad »

Harlen wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:56 pm Hi wvbrad,
That looks like a really nice route you've got planned. Great advice for the more remote part of your route, from wildhiker in the Conditions Report, and from GB here. I can give you a bit of advice on the well-traveled part. I reckon you guys can partially avoid the typically VERY crowded area around Garnet and Thousand Island Lakes by staying high in those basins. If you begin at Garnet Lake, you can use the scenic and easy Garnet Pass, and then cross over the top of Thousand Island. This gets you off the Muir/PCT, and into some nice high country. I really love the openness of Island Pass, and the views of Banner are stellar from that angle:

078.JPG View southeast from Island Pass, with Banner and Ritter left to right in the near background.

Though you're on the TMT/PCT up there at I.P., you guys can take your own route, or find your own camp on the plateau. Of course the view of Ritter and Banner through Thousand I.Lk. is a classic, however, I've known friends to be just shocked at the crowd along the NE side of the lake. I'll bet you won't see anyone up in the Kuna basin-- that should be a great trip! All the Best, Ian.
Ian,

This is fantastic info. I've heard about the crowds, so getting away from them with a still fantastic campspot is ideal. I'm super excited to get into the Kuna basin and really from Donohue to Kuna to Parker to Alger lakes. I'll check out TI Pass, that sounds great.
Thanks again, Brad
giantbrookie
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

wvbrad wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 am
giantbrookie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:11 pm I think the hardest part of your route is Kuna saddle, but the most recent clear Sentinel image (7/25; more recent images have the key areas beneath clouds) shows that it is not completely snowbound, so you can probably avoid any cornices, and then pick and choose a route on talus before getting on the snow (ie descending to the north). With an ice axe and spikes you should be OK.

thanks so much for the info- do you think decending to the N from the Saddle is best or to the south? And the lost lakes- I cant find them, are they to the W of the Kuna Crest, to the N of lost lake pass? those have been mentioned twice and now I'm intrigued! thanks
I'm not sure about your question regarding the Kuna saddle but I take it to be that you are asking whether it is better to cross it N to S versus S to N. In my opinion it is always better to plan routes to ascend the steeper side (ie N to S) because you can see what you're up against because when you descend a steep slope or face, the steepest parts are vanishing points, whereas if you ascend, the steepest bands are visible from below. Another detail is to note the topographic detail which shows that it is less steep a bit north of the lowest point on the north (ie NE) side. Accordingly the best route gets to the top a bit north of the high point. Looking at the satellite view, it appears to me that you have plenty of room to avoid snow on the steep side (ie there are large swaths of snow-free talus).

Lost Lakes are located ENE of Donohue Pk. Note that the largest, highest, and nicest of the Lost Lakes is still frozen as of today's satellite image, but the ice appears to be breaking up.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;