TR: 7/28-7/31/23 Florence Lake > Selden Pass > Crazy Pass (aborted)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: 7/28-7/31/23 Florence Lake > Selden Pass > Crazy Pass (aborted)

Post by BigTubs »

Hey All - Brief report, but thought it might be helpful to post some photos of current conditions in this unique year!

I went in Florence Lake, camping below Selden Pass on the 1st night, then over to Melody Lakes on the 2nd night, checking out Crazy Pass / Rose Lake on the 3rd night, but ultimately deciding against it (looked like a potential bushwhack back to Florence and bit of a mosquito swamp). Honestly, the damn mosquitos drove me out earlier than anticipated, but nonetheless great to see some significant snow still.

View from Selden Pass looking east

View from Selden Pass looking north over Marie Lake

Three Island Lake w/ some ice still (view from climb up to Seven Gables Pass)

Lake (tarn?) still frozen on way up Seven Gables Pass

Looking up at Seven Gables Pass

Rose Lake (this little bit of ice was gone 2 hours later)

Going up Crazy Pass - I had a pair of coyotes watching me from a distance and leading me up the pass most of the way

Crazy Pass, looking down SW side. There were a series of ledges that looked like they'd go with some careful route finding
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Re: TR: 7/28-7/31/23 Florence Lake > Selden Pass > Crazy Pass (aborted)

Post by robertseeburger »

Thanks for the report.
Really cool pictures.
Amazing that things are still frozen end of July.
Like the view of Rose Lake.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Appreciate the report! Like Bob said, it's incredible to see so much snow and ice still at the end of July.

For your original itinerary, were you going to walk back to Florence from Hooper Diversion or traverse back higher up? The Jackass Meadow campground is currently closed due to flooding, and so is the road to Hooper Diversion Dam (map of road closures here).

Your photo looking into Hooper Basin from Crazy Pass brings back fond memories of a I trip I did in July 2015 (a much drier year) going from Hooper Diversion over Crazy Pass, then around to Orchid, Apollo, and Cirque before looping back around to Hooper Diversion. Crazy Pass does indeed go, but it's steep and requires some careful routefinding. And because of the slope, I'm sure it's easier crossing eastward toward Rose than crossing westward toward Hooper Basin.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Bigtubs,

Definitely great to see the snow and big blue skies. Having hit way too many smoke-filled vistas the last several years, it's great to see a throwback to those crystal mountain-air days! Thanks for the delightful travelogue! Cameron
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spicer'sVet »

BigTubs: You refer to Melody Lake. I think you mean Medley Lake? I've seen other people make the same mistake here on HST.

We were up there 2 years ago. I like Medley Lake because it's like a maze of small lakes, only they're all connected. We did a loop from Florence, over Seldon to Medley, then down across Bear Creek and up to 7 Gables Lakes, then up through Bear Lakes Basin and over (I think) Puppet Pass to Merriam Lake, then down and out along Piute Creek back to Florence. It was awesome!
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigTubs »

Windknot,

Thanks for the photo! Great to see a shot of the ascent- very cool to compare the photos! I very much got the impression that eastward is the best way to tackle the pass. Was there a use trail on the way up at all?

My original plan was to walk back to Florence - the ferry captain had told me the campground was closed and the old OHV road, but didn't know it was flooded. I guess this was the right call after all.
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigTubs »

Spicer'sVet wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:03 pm BigTubs: You refer to Melody Lake. I think you mean Medley Lake? I've seen other people make the same mistake here on HST.
Spicer'sVet,

Yes, 100%. I think I saw Flat Note Lake on the way to Three Island and thought, wow isn't this musical theme just great, and kept it going myself.

Yeah, really cool maze of lakes, with different pools and islands - definitely a swimmer's paradise. And lots of nooks and crannies for nice campsites.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

BigTubs wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:27 pm Windknot,

Thanks for the photo! Great to see a shot of the ascent- very cool to compare the photos! I very much got the impression that eastward is the best way to tackle the pass. Was there a use trail on the way up at all?

My original plan was to walk back to Florence - the ferry captain had told me the campground was closed and the old OHV road, but didn't know it was flooded. I guess this was the right call after all.
No use trail to Crazy Pass that we could find (as the name suggests, I don't think many cross here), but as you likely saw when looking over the pass the upper part of Hooper Basin is pretty straight-forward terrain on the approach without much in the way of brush or logistical challenges.