TR: 07/16 - 19/23, Desolation Wilderness, Bayview TH, Dicks, Clyde, and Aloha

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dlopilato
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: 07/16 - 19/23, Desolation Wilderness, Bayview TH, Dicks, Clyde, and Aloha

Post by dlopilato »

Thanks for the intel! I really enjoy Clyde Lake and shared it for a night with a solitary pika end of July last year. I cannot believe how different it looks this season. I exited over Mosquito pass and cross-country to Island Lake on the other side of the ridge above Clyde, visible in your pictures. No chance I would step foot on that snowfield this year!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 07/16 - 19/23, Desolation Wilderness, Bayview TH, Dicks, Clyde, and Aloha

Post by FeetFirst »

TahoeJeff wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:20 pm How are the brookies doing in there? (any pics?)
Thriving! 3 12"+ brookies within minutes of each other. Full on out-of-water hard strikes. One of them looked more like a rainbow to me, but he spit the hook right as I was landing him so I didn't get a good look.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

dlopilato wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:04 pm Thanks for the intel! I really enjoy Clyde Lake and shared it for a night with a solitary pika end of July last year. I cannot believe how different it looks this season. I exited over Mosquito pass and cross-country to Island Lake on the other side of the ridge above Clyde, visible in your pictures. No chance I would step foot on that snowfield this year!
You're welcome. I've come over that ridge from Island Lake to Clyde before too - no snow - and even then it was a bit tedious. Lots of loose stuff and micro navigating some steeper stuff. I came down more east/southeast though, so it sounds like we took different routes.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
dlopilato
Topix Novice

Post by dlopilato »

FeetFirst wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:46 am
dlopilato wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:04 pm Thanks for the intel! I really enjoy Clyde Lake and shared it for a night with a solitary pika end of July last year. I cannot believe how different it looks this season. I exited over Mosquito pass and cross-country to Island Lake on the other side of the ridge above Clyde, visible in your pictures. No chance I would step foot on that snowfield this year!
You're welcome. I've come over that ridge from Island Lake to Clyde before too - no snow - and even then it was a bit tedious. Lots of loose stuff and micro navigating some steeper stuff. I came down more east/southeast though, so it sounds like we took different routes.
Yeah, sounds like! Did you descend directly to Clyde? I went up to the top of Mosquito Pass, then followed the ridge between Clyde and Aloha up to what I believe is the Slabs of Insanity approach, but from there worked my way around west/northwest to the pass that drops down into Island. The pass itself is cool, a perfect little flat notch in the granite. And the ascent up the ridge above Mosquito offers some great views of Aloha. I did find some graffiti up there though :(

Coming down the boulders to Island Lake was not particularly fun, and I had a hard time negotiating all the micro-terrain on the south side of Island. Lots of unnecessary up and down I suspect. Now I'm curious if I'd like the pass better ascending from Island. Twin Lakes TH>Clyde Lake>Schmidell via Rubicon Valley/Blakely trail>Doris>Rockbound TH would be a great trip when I'm looking for a quick Desolation loop.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

kpeter wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:27 am Lovely photos and a great trip report! The rainbow was a particularly lovely shot. Eye opening amount of snow still in the passes, but it did not look too badly sun-cupped yet. Good for you for getting out there!
Thanks! Yeah, sun-cups weren't an issue, yet. Plus, very warm days and nights so the snow was soft enough to get a decent bite into it.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

dlopilato wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:19 am Yeah, sounds like! Did you descend directly to Clyde? I went up to the top of Mosquito Pass, then followed the ridge between Clyde and Aloha up to what I believe is the Slabs of Insanity approach, but from there worked my way around west/northwest to the pass that drops down into Island. The pass itself is cool, a perfect little flat notch in the granite. And the ascent up the ridge above Mosquito offers some great views of Aloha. I did find some graffiti up there though :(

Coming down the boulders to Island Lake was not particularly fun, and I had a hard time negotiating all the micro-terrain on the south side of Island. Lots of unnecessary up and down I suspect. Now I'm curious if I'd like the pass better ascending from Island. Twin Lakes TH>Clyde Lake>Schmidell via Rubicon Valley/Blakely trail>Doris>Rockbound TH would be a great trip when I'm looking for a quick Desolation loop.
No, I descended northeast into the canyon on gentler terrain till I hit the river then headed south to Clyde. This was about 10 years ago so the details are a little fuzzy, but I do remember being super anxious about it.

Did you go over what I've marked above as "pass 1"? I'm almost positive I went over at what I've marked as "pass 2," but looking at it now, 1 looks better. Either way, dropping in or climbing out of Island Lake is tedious.

That does sound like a fun loop!
dlopilato
Topix Novice

Post by dlopilato »

FeetFirst wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 am
dlopilato wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:19 am Yeah, sounds like! Did you descend directly to Clyde? I went up to the top of Mosquito Pass, then followed the ridge between Clyde and Aloha up to what I believe is the Slabs of Insanity approach, but from there worked my way around west/northwest to the pass that drops down into Island. The pass itself is cool, a perfect little flat notch in the granite. And the ascent up the ridge above Mosquito offers some great views of Aloha. I did find some graffiti up there though :(

No, I descended northeast into the canyon on gentler terrain till I hit the river then headed south to Clyde. This was about 10 years ago so the details are a little fuzzy, but I do remember being super anxious about it.

Did you go over what I've marked above as "pass 1"? I'm almost positive I went over at what I've marked as "pass 2," but looking at it now, 1 looks better. Either way, dropping in or climbing out of Island Lake is tedious.

That does sound like a fun loop!
Yep, that's exactly where I crossed. I'd recommend that route if not for the Island Lake bit. I had some trouble above Clyde navigating around patches of snow and little ledges. But it was all flat enough to feel safe, and on the plus side there was running water even in a drought year, so you could make camp with a great view if you found a suitable spot!