Karel Sabbe "running" the PCT - unbelievable!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Karel Sabbe "running" the PCT - unbelievable!

Post by michaelzim »

This guy did just north of Woods Creek bridge to Muir Pass in one day yesterday! That's Pinchot, Mather and Muir in one go...Looks like he is heading for the "downed bridge" this morning too as he is descending from Evolution Valley right now. Super-human.

This is the link to his real time progress map - if it does not work you can Google it https://pct.karelsabbe.com/

And yeah, I realize this is not backpacking. This is extreme marathon stuff.

M.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Karel Sabbe "running" the PCT - unbelievable!

Post by tahoefoothills »

Yes, that is amazing endurance stuff. Do you know if he has some sort of support crew? I think that he must have support along the way.
There was a guy who worked at Patagonia here in Reno a few years back who set a speed record on the PCT that I believe was later broken by someone else.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

@tahoefoothills...Yes, he has a support crew and they also show up on the "live map". There are also a couple of crew (I think?) who run/hike with him on the trail for a bit - called Henri and Kobe.
Incidentally, there is another guy called Nick Fowler who is also "running" the PCT to beat the record time. He is going southbound though from Canadian border and is 'self supporting' so not quite the same thing. He has to get his own food and re-supplies, etc. so it is more difficult presumably. From some posts he is putting in huge miles per day as well...like 55 miles, etc.
They should meet up and cross-on-the-trail around the 1500 PCT mile marker on August 7th. Maybe they will slow down enough to shake hands?!
M.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dapperdave »

For background, Karel is the current Appalachian trail record holder, the Via Alpina (Red) record holder, previous PCT record holder and this year finished the Barkley Marathons -a race specifically designed to be at the limits of human performance.

As I write he is about 2 days ahead of the current record holder's time equivalent position.

Awesome stuff,

Dave