Taboose or Pine Creek?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
talleycat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose or Pine Creek?

Post by talleycat »

MaryProut: Here's the relevant beta from oddtiger re. Pine Creek crossings:

"did a quick weekend trip up Royce Pass from Pine Creek Pass TH. There were only a couple of patches of snow before Honeymoon. Up Royce pass the #3 lake just began to melt. #2 is 1/4 melted out. I also checked Birchim lake on the way down. It's clear of ice and snow. Two creek crossing that will get your feet wet (but pretty easy, only slightly above ankle). One is at the outlet of Pine Creek lake. Don't do the stock crossing or footbridge, walk up all the way to the outlet to cross. The other one is between upper Pine Creek lake and Honeymoon."
MaryProut
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by MaryProut »

Thanks for this info., it's very helpful. Those stream crossings don't sound like a big problem.
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Thanks talleycat. My group decided we didn't want to risk the uncertainties of Taboose/SF Kings/Cartridge Pass so we made a Plan B to visit Blackcap Basin and LeConte Divide out of Courtright Reservoir. I can't wait!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Hello Talleycat,

I was just up Taboose and went North. I think if you want to get into the Lakes Basin or navigate over to Tehipite... then Frozen Lake Pass or Upper Basin Cross are you best bet. Don't think you will be able to cross the South or Middle Fork crossings for Cartridge or the MF trail anytime in Aug!

We exited North Lake via Piute Pass also. The Canyon and what I saw of Humphreys Basin was surprisingly clear of snow... well, in comparison to Muir Pass, etc.

Hope that helps.
talleycat
Topix Novice

Post by talleycat »

Thanks, commonloon! Good to know how the melt is progressing—Humphries was horizon-to-horizon suncups when I wandered there in early July.