Kearsarge Pass trip in mid-August: Best peaks and X-C hiking?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
restimar
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kearsarge Pass trip in mid-August: Best peaks and X-C hiking?

Post by restimar »

Hey all, first post here and a trip I'd love input on: In mid-August this year, I've got a permit to go over Kearsarge Pass for a 3-night, 4-day backpacking trip.

There's no obvious loops I've seen that will be suitable for the group, so I'm thinking of doing a basecamp situation with a bunch of day hikes from the camp.

Right now, I'm eyeing up Charlotte Lake as a camp for the first two nights, followed by a third night somewhere near the lakes just east of the Kearsarge Pinnacles. Excursions include a cross-country hike over Gardiner Pass (and maybe Gardiner Pass East if we're feeling up to it) to Gardiner Basin, summits of Mount Bago and Mount Rixford, or maybe a wander down Bubbs Creek.

I had previously considered a loop through Gardiner Basin, but having read trip reports of Sixty Lakes Col I don't think the everyone could handle the Class 3 there. The Rae Lakes Loop is off the table due to length. I think max mileage with packs will be 8-10 miles/day at the upper end, though we can cover more ground on day hikes. I've done the JMT before so I'm less interested in retreading a lot of that territory, though I don't mind it if it gets us to something great.

As such, I had a few specific questions:

- Is Charlotte Lake the best spot to set up a basecamp of this kind? It's just off the JMT/PCT, and I don't know how busy it'll be (I'm avoiding Bullfrog Lake for this reason). Would love thoughts on any other possible locations.

- What peaks in the area would folks recommend for day-hikes? Class 2 is fine, Class 3 is borderline.

- Is there any other X-C terrain we should check out while we're there?

- Is there an alternative loop that I'm not considering — on-trail or X-C — that we could complete in our timeframe?

- I'm also expecting the snow to be largely thawed in these areas by mid-August (satellite imagery suggests Charlotte Lake is almost ice-free now), barring some sheltered spots, but if people disagree please let me know.

Thank you!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Kearsarge Pass trip in mid-August: Best peaks and X-C hiking?

Post by c9h13no3 »

restimar wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:00 am - Is Charlotte Lake the best spot to set up a basecamp of this kind? It's just off the JMT/PCT, and I don't know how busy it'll be (I'm avoiding Bullfrog Lake for this reason). Would love thoughts on any other possible locations.
I've never camped there myself, but when I passed through it was bustling.
restimar wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:00 am - What peaks in the area would folks recommend for day-hikes? Class 2 is fine, Class 3 is borderline.
I've heard Peakbagger friends of mine say that Mt Bago is their favorite class 1 peak in the Sierra. You should be able to sniff out solid rock on the way up, and then a monster sand plunge on the way down. Mt Cotter is the other obvious cl2-3 peak in the region, but is described as a pile of unrelenting boulders. But the approach to it through 60 lakes basin is scenic. If you're willing to get into cl3, Gould is an easy side trip from the pass and Dragon Peak has some big exposure. All the other peaks in the area are either stiffer class 3+, or are described as having rubbish rock.

The Rae Lakes are is quite scenic. The rest of the loop is optional: the majority of the $ scenery is between Dollar Lake and Charlotte Lake.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

I believe you can not camp within a 1/4 mile of bullfrog lake. You could go over glen pass and do painted lady, rixford is nice. Havent done Bago but did do the peak to the east of it which you could add on to Bago. If camp at Kearsage lakes maybe west ridge of University? Gould is only class 3at the very top. I really liked dragon lake.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Charlotte Lake is crowded, never staying there again. No camping near Bullfrog Lake.

Don't know how many miles your group wants to do, but the whole Kearsarge Basin is fun to wander in and easy dayhike to Charlotte. You could easily set up there for 3 nights. You could also break up the climb over Kearsarge Pass with the first night near Matlock Lake (also fun to wander around).
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Drop packs at Kearsarge Pass on the way over and climb Mount Gould. Camp at Kearsarge Lakes and/or Charlotte Lake and day climb Mount Bago or climb Mount Rixford instead. Gould is really easy but has a tricky summit block (those nervous of the class 3 move can call it good next to the summit block). Bago is easy with great views from the summit. Rixford is Class 1/2.

Edit to correct for memory lapse in Bubbs
Last edited by KathyW on Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

KathyW wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:30 pm Camp at Kearsarge Lakes and/or Charlotte Lake and day climb Mount Bago if you can cross Bubbs. If you can't cross Bubbs...
Coming from Kearsarge Pass, there is no need to cross Bubbs creek to summit Mt Bago.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I stand corrected. It has been a while. With no need to cross Bubbs Mount Bago is easier than Rixford but Rixford is not hard.

Mount Bago from Charlotte Lake: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... arge-Pass/

Mount Rixford: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... 87-102508/

Mount Gould: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... /i-xxNwPcC
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I am not a peak bagger, so my suggestions are hiking options.

Gardiner Basin does make a nice loop. It is all Class 2 but requires some routefinding to avoid "ooching" down slabs. (both the descent to Gardiner Creek, and also the descent in Sixty Lakes Basin require scouting for ramps). Travel through Gardiner Basin is slow, but you should be able to avoid any Class 3.

A loop alternate is to cross Glen Pass and enter Sixty Lakes Basin via Rae Col and exit via Basin Notch, then loop back via the JMT. This is shorter and easier than Gardiner Basin. Nothing particularly challenging about the short off trail sections and Sixty Lakes Basin will give a day of relative solitude vs. the busy Kearsarge Pass Trail and JMT. If you choose this, the least crowded camping at Rae Lakes is on the western side of the middle lake accessed via the Sixty Lakes Basin trail.

Another option to consider is Center Basin. Off the beaten path and nothing remotely scary. The lower basin will likely be wet and boggy until you get to Golden Bear Lake. A dayhike to the ridge separating Center Basin from the main Bubbs Creek with view of the JMT and Forester Pass should satisfy most everyone. Feels airy, and zero exposure. More ambitious is Junction Pass, but this year will likely require crossing a snowfield.
papercup
Topix Acquainted

Post by papercup »

Plenty of good options given on this thread already. If I were you, I'd avoid camping at Charlotte Lake. It's very busy and other spots in the area are more beautiful. I would prefer camping at Kearsarge Lakes. They are also busy, but being off the JMT they are not as crowded as Charlotte. And they are stunningly beautiful, with the Pinnacles right behind them. If you explore you can find lots of nice campsites with beautiful views.

I'd second the opinion of those who have suggested Mount Bago. It's a straightforward hike with an immense payoff. Gould is also fun even if you skip the Class 3 summit block. I haven't been up Rixford but it seems reasonable as well. You could easily basecamp at Kearsarge Lakes and pick a series of destinations to explore -- Bago, Gould, and Rixford are all accessible, or you could do day-hikes in the direction of Lake Reflection, Center Basin, Charlotte Dome, etc. Or you could just wander and explore the valley you're already in, which is beautiful.

If you want to move your camp a bit more and have something more like a loop hike, I think stevet has the right idea. His Sixty Lakes Basin loop is simple and accessible. It also offers plenty of options for side destinations -- there are plenty of high points on unnamed ridges in the area that are beautiful to explore; you could climb Mount Cotter or check out Dragon Lake; you can ride the top of the ridge to the base of Fin Dome and scramble around there a bit. He's also right that Center Basin is another reasonable alternative.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

a loop is possible via the low point on the ridge between university peak and and unnamed peak N,NW of it ive done it twice in both directions. I did it solo both times, and would imagine the east side would need to be done one at a time

The top of the east side is sketchy steep loose dirt/scree/small boulders and really nasty but is in a fantastic setting
The west side isnt as steep but lots of huge talus, mostly stable but came across a few house-sized loose ones both times i did it