Hitching from North Lake Campground

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bmontemuro
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hitching from North Lake Campground

Post by bmontemuro »

A friend and myself have JMT permits and will be exiting via Piute Pass because of the snow damage. We will be coming out towards the end of July. Does anyone have experience trying to hitch rides from north lake campground into Bishop this time of year? Trying to figure out if we can rely on that or if we should set up a shuttle since the Bishop Creek shuttle isn't running this year.

Thanks for any advice!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Hitching from North Lake Campground

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It depends on how fast you need to get into Bishop and what time of day you get to North Lake trailhead. There is a lot of day use at North Lake so getting a ride later in the day should not be too hard. I have hitched from the road junction a few miles down the road- once you get there it may be easier. If you want a 100% reliable ride then by all means set up a shuttle.

My past experience is that without your backpack, and if you look relatively clean, you can easily get a ride. A lot of folks with passenger cars just do not want to throw dirty packs in their cars. Getting a ride from a parking lot works better than on a road. People just do not like to stop when they are zooming down the road. All my rides were with other backpackers or fishermen (they are already dirty and stinky :) )
bmontemuro
Topix Newbie

Post by bmontemuro »

Perfect, thank you so much! Not a huge time dependence so that should work great.
JasonG
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by JasonG »

I've done it. I believe it was early-mid morning so there were't a lot of people leaving yet.. I think I waited like 30min and nothing so I started walking down toward 168. and about half way down somebody grabbed me.

I bet if you tried at campground checkout time.. 11 or 12? or later in the day 3-6pm when the day hikers and north lake fisherman are headed down the hill would be a good time.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Other than soliciting rides from trail head parking lots: Try inquiring at the outfitter's corals located along the west shore of North Lake. You can also try getting a ride at Cardinal Village Resort, or further down the road at Aspendale. Some people work these locations, but live down in Bishop. $$ talks.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

North Lake campground isn’t open yet (as of today, 7/13). You might want to check on an opening date.
My car was actually the first one (legally) into the overnight backpackers parking lot yesterday; I was following a F.S. employee as she pulled down the “lot closed” sign.
C-level
Topix Acquainted

Post by C-level »

I was actually curious on that status, thanks for the report grampy.