Your Appetite while Backpacking?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your Appetite while Backpacking?

Post by rlown »

Pretty sure it has to do with age. In my 20's and 30's I could really eat. In my 40's that slowed down. Now in my 60's I'm not that hungry.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I find the higher the altitude the lower my hunger. We did the last couple of JMT trips with only 1 pound of dry food per person. Two of us were in our later 50s and our son was in his early 30s.
Jeff
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I find I need to eat to sustain my energy level whether hungry or not so with the exception of dinner have abandoned "meals" and I graze throughout the day rationed at ~200 calories each hour. I also take a drink about every half hour so I can keep close to 1 liter per hour while hiking. I sometimes have to force dinner though.

Key for me is keeping the unit size small. 1/2 of a bar, a couple dukes sausages + handful of m&m's, etc.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

stevet wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:25 pm ..I graze throughout the day rationed at ~200 calories each hour. I also take a drink about every half hour so I can keep close to 1 liter per hour while hiking. I sometimes have to force dinner though.

Key for me is keeping the unit size small. 1/2 of a bar, a couple dukes sausages + handful of m&m's, etc.
Excellent advice! Snack en route is what many high altitude mountaineers do, but also why I grew to hate Kendal Cake. Therefore vary your snack menu. I also found just a light carbo snack and coffee for breakfast, but a full, a cooked, protein meal for lunch and dinner works better at keeping caloric intake on par while improving endurance.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.