Yosemite permit for July 6 cancelled

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite permit for July 6 cancelled

Post by LMBSGV »

I received the following email from Recreation.gov today:
Important Update for Yosemite National Park Wilderness Permits

This is an update related to your reservation at Yosemite National Park Wilderness Permits. The dates affected are 7/5/2023 - 7/7/2023.

Tioga Road remains closed. Your Wilderness Permit cannot be issued with your current entry trailhead due to the road closures.
When I phoned the Yosemite Wilderness Office, the person confirmed that I would not be able go those dates due to Tioga Road still being closed.

I'm posting this for anyone else in the same situation and also to let everyone know that Tioga Road will probably remain closed until at least July 8.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Yosemite permit for July 6 cancelled

Post by JWreno »

I had that happen for a June 14th permit back in 2017. The road didn't open for a few more weeks. I was planning on shooting some 4K video of the falls along the Tuolumne all the way down to WaterWheel falls. I have Digital camcorder video from back from June 1997 of all the falls along the river.
Jeff
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Hi LMBSGV,
Thanks for the heads-up.
Just wonderin' what trailhead, and where were you going? Tuolumne Meadows is almost completely snow free. Dog lake is clear. Tioga lake is starting to clear, but Saddlebag is still covered. The Lyell Fork look snow free past the bridge. Seems to me to be the perfect time to go.
-m
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

The trailhead was Rafferty Creek (I actually got the date I wanted in the lottery). I was planning to go to Gallison Lake since it's off-trail and a wide open south-facing basin so assumed finding a campsite would be merely finding a snow-free location. I figured any snow enountered would be nothing more than a lovely annoyance.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com