Little Yosemite Valley / Merced Lake Inquiry

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Little Yosemite Valley / Merced Lake Inquiry

Post by TxAggie »

Great insight as always, WD, much appreciated. I’ll have Gaia as well as paper maps and I’m fairly proficient at dead reconining and off trail navigation so I’m not too worried about that part, especially since we’ll essentially be following the ridge line and stream back down to the west.

Thanks for the heads up on the snakes. Luckily my daughter and I are both fascinated but respectful of them so an encounter wouldn’t be a deal breaker.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:53 am Bring your webbed duck feet :) or whatever foot-gear you use for wading.

I have done that section early season and it was sloppy wet. There are a few steep sections with switch-backs but they are down low just as you climb out of Echo Valley (which itself could be a swamp with wading required). The main problem is that the mile or so of trail that crosses to the JMT is not easy to follow even in perfect conditions. Snow patches would further complicate navigation. A GPS would be useful and be sure you know where you are, but I have never been sure if the trail on the ground exactly follows what is shown on the map. A bit of scouting may be necessary. Although it is a bit miserable, it is a short section. There are several crossings that you will likely wade. I prefer the campsites on the other side of the creek above the trail junction with the Clouds Rest Trail.

I have encountered rattlesnakes all along your route, so be aware. They are pretty sluggish and little threat as long as you do not accidently step on one.