Corridor Pass question answered

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Corridor Pass question answered

Post by Wandering Daisy »

maxsmith111 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:25 am Hi Wandering Daisy,

Your report is invaluable as my buddy and I are planning to traverse Corridor Pass from the Laurel Lakes region south to McGee Lakes. Unfortunately I am not able to see the pictures you included in your post. Is there any way you could share them? It would be extremely helpful as we are planning this.

Another question! We are both from Michigan and do not have a tremendous amount of knowledge about backpacking in the Sierra's. Given all the snowfall this year, do you think do Corridor Pass will be feasible? Our trip is planned for July 1. How much snow do you think there will be by that time?

Thanks so much!
Max
Someone asked in the x-c pass section about Corridor Pass. I moved the answer here because the question does not belong in that sub-forum.

The question was if the pass would be appropriate for a July 1 trip this year. Big McGee Lake is about 10500 feet and will likely still have snow. The pass will definitely have snow, nearly all the way to Dorothy Lake. The pass has a bunch of tedious talus that snow would actually make easier, as long as you are equipped with snow gear and have the skills. There are some steep parts, so you may need crampons rather than micro-spikes. The pass also may have formed a cornice this year.

July 1 could also be peak creek flows. There are a few creek crossings that may be impossible. Going up Convict Creek has probably a worse creek crossing problem (I have not personally done Convict Creek). Call the McGee Creek Pack Station. They keep a close eye on conditions since they pack people to Big McGee Lake.
Last edited by copeg on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quoted post
scerny
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Corridor Pass question answered

Post by scerny »

Three of us backpacked over Corridor Pass last year on July 6. Here are the photos. The north side still had a quite a bit of snow then, and 2022 was a really low snow year compared to this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Corridor Pass question answered

Post by c9h13no3 »

I remember the creek crossing at McGee Creek (37.52952, -118.82109) being non-trivial. Could probably stay on the west side of the creek and just meet up with the trail when it crosses back over.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.