2023 High Snowpack Conditions: Jinxing snow discussion

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tuolumne Meadows 3/30

Post by maverick »

YNP:
Winter kept an icy grip on Tuolumne Meadows during the first full week of spring. With 17 inches of new snow and temperatures reaching as low as -15°F, it felt like winter to our rangers up in the high country. Brrrrr.
This winter has been one for the record books and California keeps on setting new ones. In a recent snow survey at Dana Meadow, Rob and Laura measured 162.45 inches of snow and 72.75 inches of snow water equivalent (SWE- how much water is in the snowpack). Compare that to 8 years ago at the same place and time, they measured 11.5 inches pf snow and only 4 inches of SWE during the extremely dry winter of 2015. Check out this week’s post to learn more about conditions, wildlife, and a little history about activities at Badger Pass, when an all-day lift ticket was only a dollar! https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/update-f ... 8-2023.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2023 High Snowpack Conditions: Jinxing snow discussion

Post by rlown »

I would guess that plowing will be slow this year.
Penstemon
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Penstemon »

Snowshoed up to Panoramic Point from the Grant Grove Kings Canyon visitor center. At 7400 ft the trailhead outhouse was snow covered, with only the top two feet of the roof showing. Hume Lake @5200 ft melted out. the peaks surrounding the Middle Fork and South Fork Kings river are one giant blanket of snow. I tried to upload a photo, but I don't know how.

Also, found out that the road to Middle Fork trailhead (towards Panther Creek) is closed to foot traffic in addition to the usual closure for cars. So no dice trying to get in for a low elevation overnight either. A Sequoia Ranger estimates the road will open in about two weeks, but no assessment of whether they'll be able to safely open the trail at that time also. this weekend really opened my eyes to what will be possible and when.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Middle Fork is closed due to an electrical issue above the campground, in case you were curious.
dirtbag
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dirtbag »

Penstemon wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:26 pm Snowshoed up to Panoramic Point from the Grant Grove Kings Canyon visitor center. At 7400 ft the trailhead outhouse was snow covered, with only the top two feet of the roof showing. Hume Lake @5200 ft melted out. the peaks surrounding the Middle Fork and South Fork Kings river are one giant blanket of snow. I tried to upload a photo, but I don't know how.

Also, found out that the road to Middle Fork trailhead (towards Panther Creek) is closed to foot traffic in addition to the usual closure for cars. So no dice trying to get in for a low elevation overnight either. A Sequoia Ranger estimates the road will open in about two weeks, but no assessment of whether they'll be able to safely open the trail at that time also. this weekend really opened my eyes to what will be possible and when.
Would love to see that photo. I’m planning a trip for late summer and getting across South Fork without a bridge after all this snow seems like it could be…intense.