Is Yosemite being over-developed ... again?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Is Yosemite being over-developed ... again?

Post by wildhiker »

Here's an interesting article about all the construction projects going on in Yosemite Park. It raises the question of whether more development is the right way to manage crowding - or more restrictions on use?
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/yosem ... ction-boom
-Phil
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Is Yosemite being over-developed ... again?

Post by c9h13no3 »

I find the Sierra Club opinions to be pretty terrible. They're anti-development across the board, and their opinion pieces are usually full of hyperbole and light on facts.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I also have to be sceptical about certain aspects of this article, especially when it's final quote is from Chad Hanson.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Given how Sierra Club for decades now has been hijacked by lawyers with pc and political agendas, they can't ever seem to make honest unbiased balanced public statements apparently because they only try to communicate towards those in the public they can manipulate. Just like political media where they describe as news some people protesting against whatever without bothering to note they are extreme minority views. So instead of giving any credit about infrastructure needs and development by those in management of the park, they make it sound all one sided as though the park is run by anti-environmentalists. They play the same lame game when spouting against solar, wind, and desalination.

Carmen Kohlruss >>>"At Tuolumne Meadows, the Park Service bulldozed old trees to make way for new parking lots designed to stop roadside parking." An example as though it is necessarily an issue, of a standalone statement designed for pinheads.

Obviously park needs balanced development. But one won't hear that by listening to their lawyers and spokespersons.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the link Phil.. It is thought-provoking at least. I think most of us will still applaud the choice to concentrate the development, and center the visitor pop. density in the Valley, while leaving a huge backcountry more dedicated to wildlife values and wilderness experiences. I would be far more incensed if Yosemite began to build tramways up the Cathedral Range peaks, concrete paths and bungalows along the Tuolumne River up in the Meadows... and flash huts all along the JMT, a la the Swiss Alps.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

LMBSGV wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:59 pm I also have to be sceptical about certain aspects of this article, especially when it's final quote is from Chad Hanson.
:thumbsup:
Just mentioning his name in the article lowers the journalism quality. He is the Alex Jones of the environmental sphere.
And the quote from Mark Rose that implies protection of the park resources should be a higher priority than visitor safety. Yikes!

The club sierra has complained for years about the maintenance backlog of the NPS. Now that the funds are allocated, they are complaining about the work being done.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
terrapin
Topix Novice

Post by terrapin »

dave54 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:57 am
... the quote from Mark Rose that implies protection of the park resources should be a higher priority than visitor safety. Yikes!
This is the quote: "Yosemite must put the protection of park resources above that of unfettered access..." which he says in defense of a reservation system. I don't see where he deprioritizes visitor safety.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

All of the construction projects I've seen over the past few years are parking related, most of which seems absolutely necessary - it's not like they're adding hotels and swimming pools. Adding parking onto the Tuolumne Visitor Center for Cathedral Trailhead people instead of having a huge line of cars along the highway is a big safety bonus. As someone said, the Valley already is what it is “When you got a whole shopping center and all this stuff, it’s too late for Yosemite Valley”.

The sewer lines from Bridalveil seem a more legitimate concern for discussion, but there's no mention of any concern of leeching from the pit toilet container, or any possible issues from that (obviously sewer lines can be damaged by tree roots).

It'll be interesting to see if the day use reservations come back - they're still going in Arches (and even more restrictive, though that's simpler given Moab as a nearby staging area). While annoying, they do make it more manageable and help space out visitation.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Yosemite has several projects that will upgrade existing sanitation facilities around the park. The South Entrance Station and Mariposa Grove upgraded their systems in the last 5 years and I believe Wawona is just finishing up an upgrade to the WWTF there as well.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead