May Suggestions for Sierra NF/Sequoia NF/SEKI?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

May Suggestions for Sierra NF/Sequoia NF/SEKI?

Post by Lenier »

Hey all! Could use some of your brainpower.

I had planned on a trip up to Redwood Meadow in Sequoia this month, but I wasn't able to get out during the cool week we had here. By the time I can get out for an overnighter, the temps in Visalia will be nearly 100, meaning the creek crossings will be possibly outright dangerous the next few weeks on the Middle Fork Trail.

Flows for Kaweah and Marble Fork:

https://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/mon.103.php

https://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/mon.652.php

Peak flow for Kaweah is predicted to happen on the 17th, flowing at possibly 6600 CFS - FAR higher than what is normally experienced:

https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOHFSSPK.php

Note: Convert acre feet per day values on that above chart by dividing the number (In this case, 13.2k acre feet per day) by 1.98.

So I'm considering the Middle Fork to not be a viable option until June or so, when it's going to be so freaking hot in the foothills.

Where would you go that would not have significant creek crossings, and is even accessible in the Sierra NF, Sequoia NF, or SEKI areas for an overnighter? I feel like next to nothing is viable or enjoyable at this time, unless I am ok with camping ON snow somewhere.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: May Suggestions for Sierra NF/Sequoia NF/SEKI?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Lenier wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 am I feel like next to nothing is viable or enjoyable at this time, unless I am ok with camping ON snow somewhere. [/b]
Eh, you can usually find a wind exposed spot to sleep on dry ground. But yeah, lotta snow out there.

It's a high effort time of year when it comes to planning. You need open roads, bridged crossings.

My brain immediately went to the Owens Peak & Domeland Wilderness areas if you're looking to avoid snow near Sequoia. But as it's far from me, I'm much less familiar with the trailheads down there.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: May Suggestions for Sierra NF/Sequoia NF/SEKI?

Post by Lenier »

Domeland oddly enough suffers from high water too - to get to the wilderness from the closest trailheads, you have to ford the South Fork of the Kern.

I'll look into Owens Peak