Anyone know anything about a Starolater/Starblater[sp?] Pass named in 1973? It's between Reef lake & Sharktooth Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anyone know anything about a Starolater/Starblater[sp?] Pass named in 1973? It's between Reef lake & Sharktooth Cree

Post by sparky »

did you check for buried treasure
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Anyone know anything about a Starolater/Starblater[sp?] Pass named in 1973? It's between Reef lake & Sharktooth Cree

Post by kpeter »

Be careful or you may find a TV crew filming about ancient Vikings, aliens, Templars, or somesuch who quite obviously left their calling card. But seriously, this looks to me like graffiti left by kids on a 1973 trip. And in 1973 they might have had a hard time holding their chisels straight.

One thought did occur to me after mulling this over....could this be from 1873? 150 years of weathering and flaking might explain our difficulties deciphering it. By 1873 miners were crawling all over the Sierra, but why they would announce their presence on a stone in a pass is beyond me, so I think the graffiti theory is stronger.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

We visited it again last summer and poked down a little bit it seems like a pretty doable pass down to Sharktooth Lake. I was planning on visiting it when it was in shade later, but didn't get around to it as we ended up shifting plans.

Here's two more high resolution JPG images as well as their RAW files, and a video sort of panning around it to check out angles. 165MB folder.
https://drive.proton.me/urls/2MYCFYJ678#uVd6UaHmahI8

Our thoughts on this the second time were either STAROUTOR PASS AD 73 or STABOUTOR PASS AD 73. Star router (sp?) makes a bit more sense. A staboutor sounds like someone that sabotages things with daggers, but maybe someone ate a sharp edge of volcanic rock on a fall.

I do like the sound of Starbolator in terms of sheer ridiculousness, and hope to give it a shot someday. :p

I was talking pictographs & petroglyphs with someone from the Glen Canyon Historical Society and he mentioned http://www.dstretch.com as a tool for finding information in rock, but it seems to be mostly for pigments of pictos. :/
DaveF
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by DaveF »

I think, given the proximity to Sharktooth Peak, it's a weathered or poorly rendered attempt to name it "Sharktooth Pass". Enough discernable letters are in the right positions for this to be a likely answer
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

That's a reasonable take at least for the first half of it - S*AR*. There are some O's after that, but nothing that I could see being a TOOTH. I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever there again (and it's a pretty area with some nice solitude for anyone else curious).
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

grampy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:26 pm I thought on this a little more, and wondered what if this was in another language; e.g. Spanish. This would add lots more possibilities; anyway likely an unsolvable mystery.
Or the "73" is 1873, and it was chiseled by a Basque shepherder. Does anyone on here read and/or speak Euskara?
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:42 pm Or the "73" is 1873, and it was chiseled by a Basque shepherder.
I had the exact same thought. What are the chances...?
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.