Share their experience or knowledge about visiting this lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
PatriciaBarnett
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Share their experience or knowledge about visiting this lake?

Post by PatriciaBarnett »

Greetings everyone, despite my efforts to locate relevant information, I have not been able to find any references regarding my inquiry. Specifically, I have a permit for the Beck Lake trail starting from Devil’s Postpile on August 2nd, and I am keen on attempting to reach Lost Dog Lake on the first day. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone could share their experience or knowledge about visiting this lake? Thank you,
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Share their experience or knowledge about visiting this lake?

Post by grampy »

Coincidentally, your question is almost identical to another post from last year, right down to the permit date -

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=22469
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Share their experience or knowledge about visiting this lake?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This year there will be plenty of water along the trail. Why do you want to go to Lost Dog? It doesn't look very appealing and according to the map it is off the trail. Seems like it is not that much longer to get to Superior Lake.

Not sure if your permit allows this, or if you have time, but I came out from Beck Lakes via Ashley- Anona - Fern and then the trail that goes down to cross the Kings River. You may not be able to cross this year, but I crossed easily August of 2010 which was a somewhat high snow year. At any rate Ashley and Anona are worth seeing. A bit of off-trail between the two. From Fern, you can get back on the trail you came in on.