Point Reyes day-hike 4/27/23

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Point Reyes day-hike 4/27/23

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a 17-mile day-hike at Point Reyes yesterday but did not take many photos. I will add photos if when I download them, if any are worthy of posting. Only a few less-desirable campsite permits were available, so I decided to day-hike instead. I left the Bear Valley parking lot at 8AM, went up to Glen Camp which was totally empty at 9AM and then down to Wildcat. The marine layer was in so I did not go to the falls because it was too foggy to get any photos. Instead, I looped through the small lakes to the south. Then returned Coast Trail and up Bear Valley Trail. According to my Garmin watch, it was 16.6 miles, 2960 feet elevation gain/loss, 6.2 hours.

There were very few people out there. Talking to several backpackers, it seems like a lot of no-shows with permits did not cancel. And I was surprised that most day-hikers were going in at 2PM as I was going out. I am very glad I started in the cool of the morning.

It was actually quite hot other than right on the coast. Some trees have fallen over the Bear Valley Trail and have been removed. The Coast Trail from Wildcat to Arch Rock (or shall we say the now fallen down Arch Rock) was very rough and pocked, perhaps horse use when the trail was still to wet. I have not been on that trail lately so it could simply have been cumulative damage over many years. The wildflowers were wonderful, but not as thick as I have seen earlier season in February and March. Little blue bachelor buttons were the most common along the trails. A few patches of poppies. And a wide variety of flowers that I only saw once or twice. And the ferns were in good shape, still moist and green. The trails are mostly dry.

Anyway, it was a good hike and conditioner. My feet were sore when I reached my car! I need now shoes.

4469_small.jpg
4470_small.jpg
4472_small.jpg
4473_small.jpg
4474_small.jpg
4478_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.