How competitive is walk-in Tioga camping?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
csc
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

How competitive is walk-in Tioga camping?

Post by csc »

I see Inyo National Forest has a bunch of campgrounds on Tioga Pass Road east of Yosemite NP that are all first-come, first-serve. How likely do you think it is that I’d get a walk-up site on a Saturday, mid-morning, in mid-July? Do you have any tips to share on getting a site?
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: How competitive is walk-in Tioga camping?

Post by Lenier »

Not likely, because it will all be covered in snow or flooding.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

This year, September is the new July.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

At least some rangers are guessing that the road itself might open July 6, but that depends upon the weather between now and then. But having the road open does not mean that the campgrounds will be open. If any of them are open, Saturday mid-morning is just about the hardest time in the whole week to find an open site. Most people come up for the weekend, and arrive Friday afternoon or evening. By Saturday, they've all arrived.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
csc
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by csc »

Thanks for your help. “September is the new July” this year is helpful guidance :-) My family is flying in from the other side of the country, with dates set, so we may just completely re-plan our trip a few weeks out.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

to answer your "other" question, saturday, mid-morning, any month, is a bad bet. weekends attract largest number of seekers. personal experience--went for sunday, noon, last-day sites must be vacated by then, figured exodus by those needing to be back to work monday. half right--exodus yes, but all but one emptied site grabbed by noon. lesson--sunday departures leave early, don't stay until noon. I'd go for early on Sunday, be prepared to wait as people trickle out.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

As others have said, on Saturday those campgrounds are usually filled up. In terms of other days of the week, the lower the elevation, the more likely the campground is not to be filled. In other words, Lower Lee Vining and Moraine are the last to fill up, followed by Aspen, Junction, Sawmill Walk-in, Ellery Lake, and Big Bend. Saddlebag Lake and Tioga Lake are usually the first ones to fill up (if Saddlebag Road is open by mid-July). If you take Poole Power Plant Road, you can check (beginning at the far end) Big Bend, Aspen, Moraine, and Lower Lee Vining. I suspect all of those will be open by mid-July. The Inyo website says Moraine is “Planned to reopen Memorial Day Weekend 2023 or sooner.”
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I've had no problem getting a site in one of the campgrounds just outside of Lee Vining, along Hwy 120 The minimal amenities of these campgrounds make these the last to occupy, compared with the sites up on the mountains. Disclaimer: my experiences are pre-Covid, an lot has changed since then, not to mention the impact lingering snow will have on camp site preferences of this summer season.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

We always stay at the Tioga Lake campground the first night before we head up Rafferty creek. Last time there it snowed in mid September. We shared the campground with a wedding party. The bride looked cold :) Reasonably good fishing from the shore. It was 14 degrees at night. Never a problem getting a spot.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

they are pretty easy to get mid week. If we want those sites we go mid week, even thursday is fine. I dont think I have ever been shut out that I remember mid week.

if it helps, there is blm land not far from lee vining