What about the Sierra Wildlife?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

What about the Sierra Wildlife?

Post by Love the Sierra »

Does anybody know if we are going to lose a lot of wildlife this year due to the extreme snow? I keep thinking that we have already lost some to freezing, starvation, avalanche and more stuff I do not know about. Yet to come is flooding, more starving until the snow pack thaws, etc.
Those poor critters have already lost so much habitat due to fires and weather.

This is what I imagine, do any of you know? Have you read reports?

Thanks!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What about the Sierra Wildlife?

Post by dave54 »

The ones that could migrate did. I am seeing reports of increased backyard wildlife encounters in the foothills on both sides.

Most are adapted and handle the winters okay. All the water will jumpstart new brush and forb growth in the burned areas, providing lots of browse. Deer love recent burns, and mountain lions will follow the deer herd.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Generally wildlife is more affected by the duration of snow season than by extreme snow levels. Pica , marmots, etc may have a hard time next winter, if the snow pack abbreviates the summer growing season. Severe cold is also a significant factor, so that may or not have been a factor this season.
I like soloing with friends.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Thanks to both of you.