info request on easy 2-night backpack for kids (with fishing, fewer bugs)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alanhaight
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: info request on easy 2-night backpack for kids (with fishing, fewer bugs)

Post by alanhaight »

@wanderingdaisy thank you for your very steady and helpful presence on this forum. Can you elaborate on your comment in this thread about Bishop Pass and snow? I’ve been over Bishop Pass several times but not in heavy snow, and I’m cognizant of the wall the switchbacks climb and what that would be like with snow. I don’t want to add my bones to the deer’s… Are you aware of a workaround? I have a permit for 6/26 but will be looking at other trailhead options, including on the west side, if snow remains too formidable on Bishop Pass at that time. I’ve been looking at photos and climbing reports for the east side of Mt. Goode, for example, and I’m wondering if with snow it might be possible to cross toward Mt. Goode before Bishop Lake and then traverse southwest/south to gain the ridge that Bishop Pass is on. Any thoughts about options?
gtw_smooth_ambler
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gtw_smooth_ambler »

I did two nights out of South Lake TH at Long and Ruwau late August last year. It was during a weekend and Long was expectedly crowded but there was room to not be on top of each other. Ruwau only had one other set of overnighters there. It's about as pretty a lake as you'll find in the front country and very easy fishing for brookies in the 12" range. I saw some hogs cruising Long too but you'd need to be on your game late season to fool those old boys.

Don't have much to say re: skeeters except that as you probably know Ruwau is up off the creek drainage and has a lot more granite around it than Long. Didn't stay at the Chocolate Lakes but looks buggy.

I think that whole little circuit is cool for Sierra newbies since you get a taste of 'off-trail' navigation coming up that pass between Ruwau and Chocolate and a great view of Cloudripper.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

@ grampy: Me thinks the Hilton Lakes group is the second best suited among the venues being considered for your purposes. It is close to mom and daughter's camp; Hilton Lakes have plenty of pan size trout, and I consider this hike the easiest among all of the options you are considering (except Little Lakes - more on this below). The hike out of the trailhead does ascend through scrub, but the trail is open, no need to bushwhack, and it offers wide open sightlines to the upper canyons of Rock Creek while en route.

I'd advise keeping to keeping the distance as low as possible. Three miles for an 8YO at that altitude is about all the "fun" they'll care to deal with.

Practically every option suggested may have mosquito issues that time of year, given a lingering snowpack. Therefore bring long sleeve shirts, long pants, bug juice and head netting for all campers, just in case!.

The Bishop Pass trail will be safe where you plan to hike, the dangerous part is beyond your objectives: the final ascent up the Sierra Crest headwall to the pass, from Bishop Lake.

Green Lake has the biggest fish, but the trail below Brown lake will likely be flooded knee high by melt water, forcing you to scramble 1/10th mile XC over table size boulders to gain the trail where it passes over higher ground.

Little Lakes is indeed a popular venue, but kids typically enjoy the company of other young families, so that can work to your advantage. Most parties like to get in several miles, leaving the first couple of lakes relatively uncrowded. It so happens Marsh Lake, the second lake along the Rock Creek trail, has good camp sites, a great view and descent fishing. Camp on the knoll just north of the lake to get above most of the mosquitoes. My grand niece and nephew loved camping there. The route climbs less than 200', and at ~1 mile long is a long enough hike to feel adventurous for the little ones without the are-we-there-yet ordeal. And you' appreciate the short haul, too, given you will be schlepping a family size pack! This is actually my recommendation, but you seemed apprehensive due to crowds and possible skeeters.
Moi and kids at camp 01 resize.jpg
Camping 101 - Great uncle and his relatives. Start 'em young! On this trip we were there in mid July, the high season for Rock Creek, yet only a couple of other groups chose to stay at this lake.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
@ alanhaight Alternatives to the Bishop Pass Trail: For all intent purposes all routes to the Sierra Crest via terrain proximal to Mt Goode are as steep as the terrain the Bishop Pass trail covers, and additionally includes more total vertical gain . The route to the crest from that area is considered Class 4 under the best of circumstances. Any ascent up a Mt Goode route to the crest line will pose the same hazards as the pass trail if snow covers the route. I have skied up multiple times into Dusy Basin late spring season. The route skiers take departs from the pass trail at ~11,400' bearing SE of the trail, ascending the incline that terminates at the base of the cirque on the west side of Aperture Peak. Avoid getting too close to the headwalls of the Inconsolable Range, as loose rock may dislodge from above, due to the affect of freeze/thaw cycles. When you reach 11,100" elevation, contour SSW around the base of Mt Agassiz (~1/3 mile) until you attain the Sierra crest line. Plan the trip so you arrive at the crest well before noon, to avoid possible wet slab avalanche hazard.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like soloing with friends.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:08 pm If snow stays late, Bishop Pass has one very sketchy trail section that is downright dangerous until it melts. Late July should be fine. I am not sure if a Bishop Pass permit requires going into Dusy Basin or if you could punt and stay east of Bishop pass.

McGee Creek is nearby Rock Creek. Big McGee Lake has wonderful fishing. The only downside is that it is a long day in. A McGee Creek permit may be easy to get.

Other idea is Duck Lake out of Mammoth. Several lakes south of the pass and Duck Lake has fair fishing, particularly at the outlet- which you can do as a day-hike from the inlet. Pika Lake is the most scenic camping. Duck Lake Pass is easy.

And Rock Creek is another option. Treasure Lakes and Morgan Lake both have good fishing. You could base camp at Gem Lake and day-hike to each.

I have only day-hiked into Hilton Lakes from Rock Creek parking lot. Not sure I can exactly say why, but it seemed less kid-friendly. It was very brushy. I did not go to the lower lakes, but to the upper lakes. Not sure of the fishing.
Duck Lake is a possibility, but that pass may prove daunting for the kids.

If you don’t want to go so far, before Duck Pass there’s several lakes with fishing in that drainage. I was told by someone I trust that I pper Woods Lk apparently has some decent-sized fish. Skelton, Barney, and Arrowhead also all have fish as I recall.

I camped at Emerald last year on the last night to be close to the trailhead for early bug-out. Tiny brookies and tough to access good fishing spots without wading. Also don’t camp on the big rock formation on the northwest shore of the lake - it’s overrun with very angry biting ants. The campsites below are better. Don’t ask how I know.

Another spot I’ve greatly enjoyed is TJ lake out of mammoth lakes basin. One of the more beautiful lakes I’ve enjoyed with crystal crag there. The north outlet has absurd “fish every cast” fishing with logs stacked up in 2-6ft of water. The southern side has a great dropoff where I pulled a 16” rainbow on a streamer. And despite its proximity to the mammoth lakes basin we only saw 3 other groups all day. Crystal lake is far more popular and so hikers tend to go there instead. I find TJ equally beautiful and far more secluded.

You could easily do a loop and start at George up to TJ, work across to one of the lakes in the coldwater or mammoth creek drainages, and then exit coldwater campground. The shuttle will take you right back to George or it’s a short walk from coldwater campground. Minimal mileage and plenty of time to fish and goof off.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:06 am I think that's a good choice. The only concern is that with all the snow this year, mosquitoes might still hnad around in late July.

Another option would be LIttle Lakes Valley--lots of options there, and frankly the terrain is flatter than the Bishop's Pass area, so less climbing.
Skeeter season is a big wildcard for me this year. I have 3 options planned for late July, all at wildly different elevations. I always plan 3 options just for the sake of wildfires, and grab permits for all of them…but this year the bug factor is in prime consideration. The selfish part of me is hoping for a warm spring and quick runoff but that isn’t good for the state’s water or for any of the roads and bridges.

Now that I live in PA I only get 1 Sierra trip a year which is a bummer, so I plan like crazy.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Thank you, @alanhaight, @dbargaehr1, @gogd, and others;
I made a permit reservation for Lamarck Lakes back in late January (before so much more snow fell), and also had my daughter reserve a backup permit for Hilton Creek Lakes.
I had considered some of your suggested choices such as LLV, but they booked up too quickly for me.

Yes, the Lamarck trail (even considering my plan to stop at the lower L. lake) will likely be impractically snowy/melt raging on July 22, so I will consider using our Hilton Lakes alternate, or another suitable choice (if I can snag one) via the “walk in” quota route. A later trip date isn’t an option, as my son-in-law (a surgical device rep) has a limited window of vacation, and the kids go back to school the first week of August back home in Tucson. But I value the advice everyone has given me, and it should help me figure out a suitable replan.
thanks all !
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

grampy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:47 pm Thank you, @alanhaight, @dbargaehr1, @gogd, and others;
I made a permit reservation for Lamarck Lakes back in late January (before so much more snow fell), and also had my daughter reserve a backup permit for Hilton Creek Lakes.
I had considered some of your suggested choices such as LLV, but they booked up too quickly for me.

Yes, the Lamarck trail (even considering my plan to stop at the lower L. lake) will likely be impractically snowy/melt raging on July 22, so I will consider using our Hilton Lakes alternate, or another suitable choice (if I can snag one) via the “walk in” quota route. A later trip date isn’t an option, as my son-in-law (a surgical device rep) has a limited window of vacation, and the kids go back to school the first week of August back home in Tucson. But I value the advice everyone has given me, and it should help me figure out a suitable replan.
thanks all !
On July 23,1983 I went over Piute Pass and above Piute Lake it was mostly all snow, but Lower Lamarck might be OK when you go on 7/22. It depends on how the snow melts. The fishing is good there for pansized fish too. I would go to Green Lake from South Lake TH. Better fishing for rainbows and less snow for sure. Hope u you a great trip.

Texan