Trip Report Pine Creek Backpack 5/26/1983-5/31/1983

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report Pine Creek Backpack 5/26/1983-5/31/1983

Post by OutdoorRandy »

As of this report, this season’s snow totals are nearing to monster totals of the 1982/1983. This brings back memories of a trip I did just about 40 years ago. I enjoy the old trip reports that others post so I felt that this is a good time to share one of my old ones. When I scanned my slides in 2008, I didn’t realize that I had dust etc. on the lens. Please excuse these old photos.

In May of 1983, days after my college graduation, 2 of my college friends and I took a trip out of Pine Creek. The route was up the Pine Creek trail, over Royce Pass, over to French Canyon and back over Pine Creek Pass. I had done this route in August 1978 and June 1979.

We drove up from Los Angeles on Wednesday, May 25 and parked at the Pine Creek Trailhead. We cowboy camped beside my old Datsun pickup. On Thursday morning we started up the trail. We started hitting the snow about the time we let the initial trail and got on the old mining road. The going was slow, but we made it to Pine Lake for our first night’s camp. We found some clear ground at the outlet and camped right on the trail.

Day 2. We started up the trail (well, not really a trail, it was pretty much 100% snow hiking for the rest of the trip). We passed Upper Pine Lake and headed towards Royce Pass. He camped below the pass a bit on open ground. In fact, during the entire trip we never camped on the snow, and I think, never melted snow for our water. We always found at least a trickle.

Day 3. We continued towards Royce Pass which did not take us too long. We camped at the lake at the pass and hung out that afternoon.

Day 4. We hiked down the string of Royce Lakes until we got view of Mt. Humphries. From there it’s a gradual, then steeper descent into French Canyon. We had high clouds that day and I remember the sun’s intensity being what I described at the time as “Nuclear”. From French Canyon we hiked up towards Steelhead Lake and found open ground for a camp.

Day 5. Layover. The snow conditions were great, and the sun cups had not yet formed. We hiked up what I think is now referred to as Star Col. According to my notes we climbed 4 Gables Peak. No packs, no people, snow everywhere and youthful energy; it was a great day.

Day 6. We packed up and headed up and over Pine Creek Pass. We descended to Upper Pine Lake and made camp.

Day 7. The hike out. We descended down to the old mining road. We could see how much snow had melted since we came up it. When we came upon the creek crossing at about 8,500’, the snow bridge that we crossed over on the way up was now sketchy. We felt it was too dangerous to use. We backtracked a bit and found a use trail that descended pretty much straight down towards Pine Creek. Near the bottom we bushwhacked parallel to creek. It was a hassle but safe. Eventually we emerged and made it to the trailhead.

Misc. We all had old-style heavy leather boots with a lot of Sno Seal and used gaiters. This kept our feet dry. We brought my Early Winters tent and a tarp. As I recall we slept in the tent on some nights and on the tarp on others. While I don’t remember we probably carried 50+ lbs to start. I had an old Jansport D3 framed pack that my dad gave me in the mid-1970s. We used old Ensolite pads.

We used a MSR stove that was purchased around 1974. It was noisy but reliable.

While we brought warm clothing the temperatures were moderate, and we often hiked in shorts and short sleeves.

I don’t recall what food we brought but I know that I was already sick of Mountain House freeze dried meals by then and was on my life-long search of sort of gourmet backpacking meals.

We did not see another person the entire trip.

I don’t remember if we understood what an historical snow season it was, but it didn’t matter. Other than the snow bridge on the last day, which we avoided, we never felt what we were doing was risky. The snow was easy to walk on and the trip was memorable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report Pine Creek Backpack 5/26/1983-5/31/1983

Post by texan »

Thanks for sharing this TR. I went over Piute Pass on 7/23/83 and we came back down the same day because it was 100 PERCENT snow over the pass. We were looking to fish for big goldens but found it to be a winter wonderland. Your comment about how the snow was easy to walk ON makes since. It wasn't warm enough then in late May to start the thaw so there weren't any sun cups. I have been to Royce Lakes to fish but never say photos like this with a epic winter and all of the snow. Thanks again for posting and the pics look great to me.

Texan
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Man those are some incredible photos (from before I was born, sorry to make you all feel old). Thanks for sharing!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Presuming you just had the big old lug boots and no traction add-ons like crampons, correct?...If so, do you recall if the snow was frozen (ice) in the early mornings and thus you waited for it to soften up before hiking?
Also, do you recall or could you guess at overnight minimum temperatures while up at altitude?

Thanks for the history and post - and wish I could go buy some of that exuberant youth redux at Walmart.

Michaelzim
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by OutdoorRandy »

Michaelzim: Yes big lug boots and no traction devices. I don't recall it being very icy or waiting to start nor it being very cold, even at Royce Lakes, which was our high point and camp. We were prepared for it however with good sleeping bags and a good tent. The worst suffering on the trip was the intense radiation as we hiked down into French Canyon. I think the weather was very favorable that week.

It was almost 40 years ago and I'm glad I remember as much as I did:)