Load-out feedback

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Load-out feedback

Post by michaelzim »

I discovered Trader Joe's dried orange slices c/o Lizzie H. that do wonders for the sweetness and tangy craving. Also dried Mandarins are a real score when not sold out.

M.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

How does anyone feel about rain pants for August? I have a rain shell, not sure if more is needed.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

sbennett3705 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:48 am How does anyone feel about rain pants for August? I have a rain shell, not sure if more is needed.
Depends on whether you are out there when heavy monsoon moisture arrives. The last two years, I seemed to time my trips for maximum thunderstorms and rain. The rain was forecast, so I took the rain pants. Boy, did I need them! On more than one occasion, I had to be out in the downpour bailing out the big puddles that threatened to flood my tent. Not to mention hiking in the rain. I have the Outdoor Research "Helium" rain pants - work great and only 6 ounces.

-Phil
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

wildhiker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:41 pm
Depends on whether you are out there when heavy monsoon moisture arrives. The last two years, I seemed to time my trips for maximum thunderstorms and rain. The rain was forecast, so I took the rain pants. Boy, did I need them! On more than one occasion, I had to be out in the downpour bailing out the big puddles that threatened to flood my tent. Not to mention hiking in the rain. I have the Outdoor Research "Helium" rain pants - work great and only 6 ounces.

-Phil
I like the idea of adjusting last minute based on weather. I thinking a set of Frog Toggs’s. I’m cheap and don’t want to carry items I won’t use. Never used them, I guess they’re basically disposable?
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

sbennett3705 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:48 am How does anyone feel about rain pants for August? I have a rain shell, not sure if more is needed.
If the air is cool, typical of Sierra upper sub alpine and alpine showers any time of year, getting your legs wet for extended periods will be similar to walking around midwinter in a pair of shorts.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.