Tuolumne Meadows Parking and Closure

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Parking and Closure

Post by hikerchick395 »

There is parking where the old Tuolumne gas station was. This entrance goes straight back to the Elizabeth Lake trailhead. This is the only place where there are not signs warning of fines for entering the campground construction. You cannot even walk in by the Tuolumne River east of the bridge. We went October 31 last year, to snoop around. There is a sign nearby (cardboard) pointing SW saying Cathedral Lakes. Ha.

There is a brand new road leading north from near the Elizabeth Lake TH. And the group camp is being used for construction supplies and the logs from downed trees.

Wilderness parking area is still open as is Dog Lake parking. And I believe there is new parking for Glen Aulin. That gravel road that passes by Lembert Dome parking has been paved.

The grill, post office and store were open last year. Construction is done there. And the paved Sunrise parking has been expanded. Some of the Tenaya Lake parking will be different, if you're familiar with that area.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, @hikerchick395 ! I'll keep an eye on the YARTS page as the season develops to see where I can get on and off the bus. I'm planning to ride up and back from Lee Vining for a few days acclimating for a later backpacking trip.
—B²
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

Hi everyone, good topic and what I was looking for. To recap, for the 2023 season, it sounds like is you can enter TM, find a place to park at the visitors center or Cathedral LakeTH's new parking area.
Q: Can someone confirm that parking along side the road in designated areas (which I think there was in the past), is no longer an option? Did I read that right about the curbs? We want to head into and around Pothole dome up the river.
The other question, parking at the visitors center overnight is allowed? The plans here are hiking behind the VC down Toulumne river.

I checked NP site but basic information: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tm.htm
Thanks all. Glad to see all the snow too :)
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

What a great logo/flag! Should I recognize it? (Kind of hijacking the topic, I know—feel free to respond via direct message, but I'll bet others here are interested, too...).
—B²
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

@BSquared, LOL, thanks for asking. It's the Venetian maritime flag, my history and honor, dating back circa 10th century.