Quilt Width

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Dirtnbrews
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Quilt Width

Post by Dirtnbrews »

Currently shopping for my first quilt and looking for some feedback from people who have experience with quilts. I am 6ft tall, 195lbs 49”around the shoulders. Some reviews I read say to go with a 55” wide while other reviews swear by having more room and going with something like the EE wide at 58”. I do sleep on my size and toss and turn frequently. Anyone out there have some advice for me?
freestone
Topix Expert

Re: Quilt Width

Post by freestone »

Go wide. I have similar measurements as you and a slide sleeper. I have an EE 10 degree regular, and with every side switch/roll I need to reach to my backside to reposition the quilt to stop drafts so a wider quilt may lessen that.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

+1 on going wide. I'm 48" around the shoulders and mostly a side sleeper. I have a EE wide.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by shawnterustic »

Agreed with the above - go wide! I'm 5'8", average build, and have a regular-width EE Enigma. I'm a big toss-n-turner, and while it's usually plenty roomy for me, I have definitely pulled that sucker over enough to create a breezy little gap, so assume someone with a broader profile would have that issue more often.
Dirtnbrews
Topix Novice

Post by Dirtnbrews »

Thank you so much for the information. Hammock gear said the would do a Burrow at 60” and they have 20% off. Do you think the additional 2 inches above the 58” that EE offers will be a good thing or a drawback? Also sewn tow box or zipper or a bill inky to open like EE offers.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I'm your size Brews and have a 10 degree EE Revelation in tall/wide. I never have to worry about breezy gaps. The Revelation's zippered foot box is great in warm weather. I can easily vent when it's warm. I am a cold sleeper though.

I've never been too hot or cold and have had it down to 19 degrees. I use it with a Thermarest Xtherm in long wide. I highly recommend this setup.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

I can't say whether I think an extra 2" makes that much of a difference - I think at that point, you should just go with whichever quilt you like better / better fits your budget.

My EE Enigma is also a 10-degree quilt. I'm a cold sleeper. I have a sewn toe box and much prefer that because I like to have a little "anchor" for my feet to keep the quilt centered, even when it's warm out. I've used that quilt along the PCT in conditions that ranged from mid-summer low-elevation heat to below freezing and was able to adjust to make it work in all situations - cinching it around my head, unclipping some of the clips to create more airflow, putting on / taking off clothes, etc. Suppose a zippered option is nice if you want to be able to just turn it into a blanket / air out your tootsies!