Where do you get your detailed 1:24000 maps?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Where do you get your detailed 1:24000 maps?

Post by kpeter »

Yes, I just print from CalTopo and store in a gallon ziplock bag. I often blow up the scale and go through 1-2 sheets of maps a day. I make no effort to connect them all, but I do overlap what I print a bit so I can make the transition from one sheet to the next easily. A week long trip I might go through a dozen 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of maps. I often print an overview map with a compressed scale and then expanded maps for any individually challenging things I might do, like a cross country pass.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

After some downtime, MyTopo.com is back to making customized maps.

This is my answer to situations where your off-trail routes carry you through an area that might otherwise require six adjacent 7.5-minute quad maps, that can actually mostly be captured with a single customized map - in combination with a larger map indicating the trails in that part of the range.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

That is exactly what I do!